Chapter 3: "I've Said Too Much!"

I immediately froze. I knew this was coming- of course he'd ask who I was. I was a stranger standing in his home. Still, my mouth filled with cotton, and all my limbs felt like they were dipped in lead.

"This is my friend Olivia... from school! We're in the same sorority!" Cassie jumped in- sensing my sudden paralyzed state.

"Oh! Go Kappa Gamma Delta!" Her dad said, pumping his fist in the air.

"Cassie, I didn't know you were bringing a friend home!" Her mother interrupted, looking me up and down with slight disapproval. I was suddenly very aware of what I was wearing- old, dirty converse, leggings that had just traveled halfway across the country, and one of Levi's t-shirts from an intramural sports team he was on in college. I hope they weren't too invested in Levi's collegiate extracurriculars... but based on how little he shared with them, I don't think the thought of this shirt belonging to her son even crossed her mind.

Suddenly, Mr. Montgomery perked up, "The more the merrier! Welcome to our home, Olivia! I hope you'll stay here with us as long as you'd like!"

I smiled and continued to "introduce" myself to Katie and Mark who both sent me sly glances. 

"Well, Cassie dear, your mother and I have quite a bit of planning to do before the party on Saturday, why don't you show Olivia around town? Make sure she has an appropriate gown for the event? Grab a bite to eat, perhaps?" Mr. Montgomery said with a big smile as he handed Cassie a matte black credit card. At that moment, Katie perked up.

"I'd hate to bail out on the planning, but a girl's day of shopping, wining, and dining on the town sounds like my kind of day! Count me in!" she said, tossing her perfectly curled sandy brown hair over her shoulder.

Before anyone could protest,  Katie interlocked her arms between mine and Cassie's and pulled us out of the ballroom. 

"See ya, Mark!" she called over her shoulder with a wink.

......................

After a short drive we arrived at an impossibly well kept street lined with posh boutiques on either side. Everything looked, in one word, expensive... and we weren't even inside yet.

"Y'all really don't have to go out of your way to do all of this! I don't want you to spend any money on me, Levi said I could possibly just borrow something one of you has already worn?"

The sisters exchanged glances and burst out laughing.

"Absolutely not!" Katie exclaimed, "You're going to pick out the perfect dress- don't worry about cost. We never look at the price tags- especially when Dad gives us his card!"

These girls were so odd to me. They have everything they could ever want. They had the world handed to them, but still they are so kind and generous. Nothing like the rich girls I'd met at school.

"Okay! Okay! I'm not making any promises! But....I did see a dress that caught my eye in that store's window over there." I said, pointing to a small boutique to our left.

"WOOHOO! LET'S GO!" Cassie shouted, marching straight into the store.

Katie and I followed behind her. When we entered the store, Cassie was already lounging on an expensive looking couch, sipping champagne.

"Katie! I'm so glad you're here! Cassie was just telling me you girls are shopping for your parents anniversary party on Saturday?" the store associate said as she poured two more flutes of champagne.

"We are! Cassie and I have been shopping for months, so we're covered. This, however, is Cassie's friend from college, Olivia. She's actually who we're shopping for today!" Katie said, speaking to the lady with a certain sense of familiarity.