Shadow Searcher

Hey guys. Just a warning, this is unedited, underdeveloped, more than a bit cliche, and is full of mistakes. I wrote this a while back, and haven't got around to fixing it. Read at your own risk!

**************
Mistakes. We all make them. In fact, I just made one. A huge one; I just walked into a high school filled with hormonal teenagers. And if that isn't bad enough, a substantial amount of werewolves. Whoops. I honestly don't know how I overlooked the fact that I entered into one of the biggest packs of werewolves in America's territory, yet somehow I just did. I was almost pulled here. I guess I'm just that stupidly oblivious. And, I suppose, 'directionally challenged.'

Being a female rogue werewolf, I've adapted. I learned how to survive, because the other option is to not. However, being the only golden werewolf to ever exist, makes it that much harder. At least other wolves have the luxury to blend in. So, with all of this, you'd think I can manage to not get myself into an easily avoided, dangerous situation. Ha. You haven't met me.

And to top it all off, even in human form I'm gorgeous. I'm not bragging. But I'm not going to try and tip toe around the truth in order to make other people feel better. In most situations, I actually despise my unusual violet eyes, facial structure, and long golden locks, because it draws way too much attention. Again, that's not what I want, or need. What I want is to live inconspicuously, to walk out of the shadows I've been forced into, and to enjoy what time I have left. So, with that in mind, I try wear baggy clothes, a hood on to conceal my face, just anything that helps me hide. Sure, I get the occasional weird look from people, but it's better than the alternative. Being killed, or worse, captured.

Anyway, back to my stupid mistake. I can't believe I didn't smell the wolves before I walked through the door. I'm usually much more cautious, now I'm in the middle of a huge pack's territory. I was following my instincts, which up to this point have kept me alive. I guess they got tired of working.

The pack, or at least the warriors, already know someone trespassed, but they just know my scent, not person. My best bet would be to make it through today, lose my scent in the mix of sweat, perfume, and helplessness that all high schools seem to contain, then take off after school and pretend I was never even here. If I run screaming now, then they'll definitely know something's up.

With that in mind, I quicken my step head towards the office to get my schedule. Sooner I'm in, sooner I'm out.

As soon as I open the office door and step inside, I'm almost blown away by the strong stench of werewolves. They must be incredibly troublesome to get sent to the office so often that it reeks of them this much. Though, I'm not sure about the whole human to werewolf ratio of attendees here.

As I walk to the counter, I adjust my hood out of habit, insuring that it covers my face enough. I smile at the secretary, though I doubt she can really tell, and begin "Hi, my name is Jasmine. I contacted you guys yesterday, and I believe my paperwork is on file already. I just want to double check that it's not necessary for me to fill out anymore paperwork and get my schedule." The lady nods, and fails to introduce herself while typing at her computer as to verify the information. Finally she stands and replies, "Hello Jasmine. There actually aren't anymore papers to sign, so I'll just go grab your schedule and you'll be all set. Please, feel free to take a seat, though I won't be long." As she enters a back room, I hear her mutter, "I hope. I think I put it in the file cabinet. But maybe I put it in the desk drawer..." The closing of the door behind her muffles the rest of her monologue. I could tune in again if I really wanted to, thanks to my magnified senses, but why would I want to bore myself to death?

I shift from foot to foot a little impatiently, not enjoying the venerable position I got myself into. I have the terrible feeing of paranoia, now magnified with being this exposed.

However, just as the secretary emerges from the back room, only this time holding a white, stained paper, the main door suddenly bursts open. A new smell accompanies the figure stepping into the small room. I feel my body automatically tense as I identify the new scent. Werewolf.

Before anything else can happen, I grasp the paper from the surprised lady's hand and bolt towards the door. Brushing past the male, I quickly open the door and step outside. After casting a quick glance over my shoulder, only to see the boy staring straight back at me, I allow the door to swing shut, effectively cutting of my view of him with a satisfying click.