4. God Bless Radiation

Start from the beginning

            "Someone has apologized, like, 1,000 times." Monty said.

            I laugh a little at their banter, my hand still laced with Finn's.

            "What did you two do?" Jasper said asked Elliot and I.

            Elliot didn't reply and walked ahead, acting like she didn't hear them. I felt Finn's grip tighten, but I pulled my hand from his and looked at them.

            "If I told you, I'd have to kill you." I say with a wink before running ahead.

            All three of us girls ran over to Clarke, who was crouched down looking at something.

            I followed her gaze to a deer, an actual deer eating grass. It was the first animal I had ever seen. All I could do was stare at it in awe. I had never seen something so simple be so magnificent.

            "No animals, huh?" Finn remarked with a smirk on his face.

            All seven of us were in a little huddle watching it, with amazement. Finn scooted closer, trying to get a better look. But as he did a twig snapped from under his feet and the deer turned sharply at us. All seven of us gasped in unison at the gruesome sight. A second head hung off of the deer. When it saw us it ran away quickly.

            "What the fuck was that?" Elliot asks, with a shaky breath.

            "Something to look forward to." I deadpan, "God bless radiation." I get up and resume walking with the rest following in suit.

            "Do you think that'll happen to us?" Jasper asks.

            I shrug, "I doubt it, it's probably something it was born with, a mutation due to the radiation. Maybe it'll happen to your kids though."

            "If we live long enough for that."

            "Hey, you know what I'd like to know? Why send us down today after 97 years? What changed?" Finn asked to no one in particular.

            Octavia walked a head of everyone trying to get Finn's attention. Clarke and I shared a look, we both knew why.

            "Who cares? I'm just glad they did. I woke up rotting in a cell, and now I'm spinning in a forest." Octavia smiles spinning around the tree, her smile takes a quick turn south when Finn ignores her and walks past her.

            "Maybe they found something on a satellite, you know, like an old weather satellite or-"

            "It wasn't a satellite." I said walking ahead with Clarke, "The Ark is dying."

            Everyone stopped dead in their tracks looking at both of us. Clarke and I walked ahead of all of them.

            "At the current population level, there's roughly three months left of life support."

            "Maybe four now that we're gone." Clarke added.

            "Definitely four." I agree, "They need six months to fix the problem. If they can fix it."

            "So that was the secret they locked you up to keep, why the kept you in solitary, floated your old man?" Finn asked her.

            "My father was the engineer who discovered the flaw. He thought the people had a right to know. The council disagreed. My mother disagreed. They were afraid it would cause a panic. We were gonna go public, anyway, when Wells..." She trailed off.