Chapter Fourteen

A beeping sound wakes me up from a deep sleep. My eyes flutter open and I blink a few times to focus on my surroundings. I am laying in a white bed, I look down at my arms to see tubes connected to them. There is an oxygen mask attached to my face. I take it off and put it on the side. I try to raise myself up but I hiss in pain. I uncover myself and lift the top of a black long-sleeved pajama top. My whole stomach is bandaged. I lower the shirt back down and cover myself again. I take the remote next to my hands and press a call button. A few seconds go by and two nurses along with Amber run inside. 

"You're awake!" Amber smiles widely. 

"I'll call the doctor." One of the nurses says as the other checks my temperature and writes down something on the papers at the foot of my bed.

"How are you?" I ask as Amber sits down next to me. She chuckles and shakes her head.

"You are the one that is laying in a hospital bed, yet you are asking me how I am." She narrows her eyes at me. Playfully of course. I chuckle. 

"No. Seriously..." I continue.

"I am good. But, what's more, important... How are you?" She examines me.

"In pain. What happened?" I cut to the case. She looks at the nurse and the nurse nods exiting outside.

"There was a break-in, in Harry's house. You were attacked by the G-lite members. They were sending a message to Harry apparently." She says and everything starts coming back to me.

"How long was I out?" I ask.

"You were in an induced coma for five days now. You lost a lot of blood." She says just as Sophia runs inside. 

"Oh my God, you're awake!" She hurries towards me, hugging me immediately. I hiss in pain and she pulls back.

"Sorry." She smiles apologetically.

"It's okay," I say giving her a small smile. She sits down in the chair on the other side of the bed and looks at me worriedly.

"Don't look at me that way, I'm okay." I say making her chuckle.

"You almost died. If the silent alarm on Harry's phone didn't go off, you would be dead." She continues.

"What do you mean?" I question curiously.

"Harry has a silent alarm connected to the activity around his office. The members of the G-lite probably tried to break in. When he turned on the cameras he saw them chasing you. He got there just in time." Sophia smiles and I glance at Amber, she smirks just in time the doctor comes in.

"Miss Riviera, how are you feeling?" The doctor asks.

"Better than I deserve." I say making him chuckle.

"Well, it's a miracle you're still alive. With six deep stab wounds, two partially broken ribs, and a bruised face it seems like you're holding up pretty well." He says making me chuckle.

"But all jokes aside, you will need to rest for the next two weeks, I already prescribed you all the necessary painkillers and medicine that you will need." He says just as a tall figure appears behind him. Harry stands in the doorway, making everyone's attention fall on him. He shakes hands with the doctor and walks further inside. The girls get up from the chairs and exit outside along with the doctor and the nurses. They close the door and leave the two of us completely alone. He sits down on the chair next to the bed. His elbows rest on his thighs while his fingers intertwine with one another. His eyes scan my face, the sight makes him sigh quietly.

"How are you feeling?" He asks as his eyes set on mine.

"I'm okay, a little bit bruised." I sigh and try to sit further up.

"Easy." He says and immediately stands up to his feet, he fixes my pillow and helps me sit further up.

"Keep your strength." He says sitting back down to his previous position.

"Thank you." He only nods.

"I mean for everything. The girls told me you found me... So thank you." I say and he nods again. For the remaining time, we sit in silence as he examines my face once again.

"Is it that bad?" I chuckle making him widen his eyes.

"No, no." He says and clears his throat.

"What do you remember from that night?" He quickly changes the topic. I sigh and furrow my eyebrows in thought.

"I remember waking up on the kitchen floor. Not long after I was petting Astrid as lights went out. Thunder came to protect me, but as they heard a crash on the second floor, they ran upstairs. Are they okay?" I frantically remember the sight of both of them unconscious on the floor.

"They are okay. Don't worry. Continue."

"Erm... I hid with a knife behind that wall in the dining room. There were six of them, they went to your office thinking I was inside because it was locked. I ran up the stairs into your bedroom. I hid on the highest shelf in the closet. Once they found me they basically tossed me around and threw hits." I say and see him slightly tense.

"I managed to escape and run to hide. I ran into the garage and hid under the Range Rover. Once they followed inside I ran back up to your room, but they caught up to me. After they beat me to a pulp, one of them stabbed me and before I completely blacked out he said: 'Tell him we're waiting.'... 

And that's all, I think." I sigh looking at my hands. 

"Well, you should rest now." He says and walks towards the door. 

"Harry! Wait!" I try to stop him. He turns around and looks at me. 

"I saw-" I start.

"What did you see?" He asks and comes closer to me.

"I saw his face... before I passed out, I saw it." I sigh.

"Rest now. We'll talk more once you are back up on your feet." He says and exits the room. 

***

Sorry that this chapter is so short.