Chapter One

Darkness surrounded me everywhere. I looked around myself trying to figure out where I was. But no luck. A variation of the ice-cold and burning hot floor brought panic throughout my whole body.

"Hello?" I asked as I felt a warm breath at the back of my neck. I tried to turn around but it was useless. As I am trying to get up to my feet, a huge pang of pain strikes my back. A scream comes from the top of my lungs.

ZARA!

The excruciating pain suddenly vanishes. Once I look up, my eyes find a mirror in front of me. The one and only source of light, lighting up the dark empty room. I get close to it, a gasp leaves my lips. My body is covered in bruises and my face is covered in cuts. Blood is dripping down my white shirt and as I try to get up again, the same pain strikes again.

ZARA!

This time, a dark figure is standing behind me. A smile, wide from one side to another.

"Stop please!" I beg as he holds a knife in his hands.

Blood is dripping down the blade making me scream in agonizing pain.

ZARA! WAKE UP!

My body shots up from the sweat-soaked bed. I look around in panic.

"Zara, it's okay. I am here." My brother holds me by my shoulders, shaking me back to reality. I hug him tightly as he does the same.

"Shh, it was only a dream." He says hugging me tighter.

"No Zeke, it was a nightmare." I speak as my breathing calms down. My chest slows down and we pull apart.

"I can't take this anymore." I start crying. With my face in my hands, he hugs me again.

"I know, God, I am so sorry." He says.

"It's not your fault." I sigh. He nudges me with his hand and smiles geekily.

"You're a dork." I laugh at his facial expression. Which makes him happy.

"Now go to bed. I have to get up early." He says as he hugs me again. We pull apart and he comes up from my bed.

"Thank you." I say just as he opens the door.

"You know I will always be there for you." He comforts me with those words. He means the world to me and those words soften the panic that surrounds my heart. Later that same morning I woke up rested and filled with energy. I walked down the stairs dressed in my favorite pair of black sweatpants and a matching cropped hoodie.

"Good morning honey." My mum says from the kitchen.

"Morning mum."

"Did you sleep well?"

"I had another nightmare again." I said with a sigh. She looks at me worriedly and takes off her reading glasses.

"What was it about?" She asks as I sit down. A freshly made cup of coffee was in my hands before I could say a word. With a small smile and a 'thank you' for the very much needed beverage I continued onto answering her question.

"It was the same one as always. I was sitting in a dark room all alone. The floor burned me and froze my body at the same time again. Once I tried to get up, a mirror appeared and I was full of cuts and bruises. My shirt was soaked with blood. I felt the pain again mum. I felt it. And this time it was worse. He appeared again. With the same creepy smile and the same knife." I spoke slowly. She sighed and bowed her head down.

"I am so sorry baby." She says.

"It's not your fault mum. It's no ones. Nobody's but mine." I say while she examines me.