Chapter 11

I pulled into the garage after retrieving the key from under the mat. It was already pretty late so I just locked up my bike and walked through the door to the kitchen. The house was dark and I made my way upstairs collapsing onto my bed and Instantly falling asleep. Thoughts of Mike in my head, but that night My dreams weren't peaceful, They were nightmares.

The next morning I had set my alarm for 5am, I slowly dragged my self out of bed and looked around my room. It was a total mess. My bed looked like a tornado had hit, but I didn't dwell on that because it just made me think of the nightmares I had last night and that made me Jumpy.

The sun was still down and a soft blue shadow was cast throughout our house. I took a shower and when I was dressed I checked on my Mom and Jess, Luckily they were still asleep.

Once back in my room I pulled out The yellow envelope from under my bed. Pulling out the money I grabbed my back pack and tossed it in, then I headed down stairs and into the Kitchen to grab our mail Basket. A huge stack of letters was held together with a yellow rubber band, each envelope was covered in Large Red Letters Reading "PAST DUE" I grabbed all of them and threw them into my Bag as well.

My watch said it was already 6am so I Grabbed my moms car keys, deciding to leave my Motorcycle for the day and I headed outside. The first thing on my list was to pay our rent, and since Mrs. Lidia Only lived down the street I walked over to her house. Home made tortillas and Beans filled my nose as I approached the gate , meaning Mrs. Lidia was already Up. I shook the fence a little to signal my presence as I called out her name.

From inside the house came a few muffled yells in Spanish and soon Mrs. Lidia's Daughter, Caroline, was rushing out of the door. Her cheeks Flushed from the sudden change in temperature and she began pulling on her hair in attempt to fix the tiny curls and knots. Caroline was only about 16 or 17 and it was rumored in the neighborhood that she fell in love very easily, yet I was hardly ever home so I didnt pay mind to her.

"Sorry I look so horrible Tony, We weren't Expecting Company." She explained to me as she unhinged the latch on the gate and Let me in.

"Im sorry to stop by so early, I just need to talk to your mom." I replied following her up the steps of the porch and she led me inside.

"Mama its Tony from down The street" Caroline yelled still pulling on her short curly hair.

"In the kitchen Tony." Mrs. Lidia Replied and I walked in alone as Caroline rushed upstairs.

"Tony its been so Long." Mrs. Lidia called from the table where she was rolling dough for her tortillas. Mrs. Lidia was an Older Lady maybe in her forties or fifties, Her gray and Black hair pulled into a tight bun on the top of her head and an apron wrapped around her plump waist. She smelled of old perfume and Laundry soap. She was a sweet old lady, but she was a gossiper, and thats why I was glad to only speak to her every six months to pay the rent or on the occasional times I would Run into her at the grocery shop or around the neighborhood.

"It sure has been." I replied taking a seat across from her. " But I came to pay My rent." I finished.

"I would hope so, You and Your Mama are already late." She replied brushing her hands on her apron and pushing her food aside.

I only nodded and Began pulling out the money from my envelope under the table. I didnt want anyone to know how much I had so Once I had counted out Five thousand I put the rest away and zipped up my bag, Handing the money over to her.

"Its Five thousand, $4800 for the rent, and two hundred for being late." I explained as she was counting it.

"You and Your mama are always struggling with money yet You're the only person who pays six months in advance, I wonder why that is?" She asked laughing a bit.