61. Firm

1016 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own MK/DC~

Written April 13 2020
Posted May 30 2020

The pill had ended up lasting around a day as well, which was a very positive result in Kaito's opinion. The time that Ginzo had been his normal size hadn't been spent any differently than if he's still been shrunken. He'd just kept an eye on Kaito to make sure that the boy didn't get any ideas about sneaking out.

The inspector glanced over towards the boy, now that he was back to being tiny, Kaito wasn't really paying much attention to anything anymore. Instead indigo was staring blankly at a book, the page hadn't been turned in over an hour "Why don't we try the other pill now?" He inquired, wanting the other to stop zoning out. Kaito had refrained from zoning out before because he'd needed to observe the pill's effects, so maybe taking another pill would have the same result.

Kaito blinked, gaze unfocused before shaking his head "No, that would risk your immunity to the cure to build up faster than what a single pill would do"

Ginzo frowned, Kaito's tone had really bugged him, it wasn't condescending, but it also seemed void of emotion. He narrowed his gaze at the other, Kaito hadn't slept in his room, instead choosing to sleep on the couch. Now that he thought about it, Kaito had been spending most of his time curled up on the couch under a blanket ever since they'd returned "How do you feel?" Was the other still in a lot of pain? Kaito had taken to only ingesting around a quarter of the prescribed dose of his medicine by cutting the pills into fours.

The boy let out a breath "Tired" It felt like he was always tired nowadays "And worried about the heist" Last night had been the first heist that he'd ever missed, he was almost too scared to go on the internet or turn on the news channel now.

The inspector pursed his lips "You've been staying too still for you to actually be tired" He breathed, gaze dark but not unfriendly. His shoulders slumped, Kaito was acting like he was depressed, which was probably the truth "I think that we should go outside for a bit, maybe walk in the woods near that house?" The one near Kaito's lab. Sitting around wouldn't help Kaito, at least not mentally. He needed to get the other to actually do something, something that didn't involve the crows.

Kaito frowned "I'm supposed to be resting" He didn't really want to do anything right now. He just wanted to sleep.

"No" Ginzo's tone was firm "Go and get changed into something warm enough to go outside in" There was snow on the ground, and the last thing they needed was for Kaito to become ill. Indigo went wide, the boy's mouth going into a small 'o' shape before Kaito kicked the blanket off and scurried to his room. That was... Surprisingly effective... But maybe he shouldn't push it by doing that often.

By the time he'd dressed himself in a warm coat, mitts, scarf and hat, Kaito was standing awkwardly near the doorway. The boy's hat was slanted at an angle to cover his missing eye, clothing also looking a bit rumpled so that the hat didn't look odd on it's own. Kaito shuffled his boot clad feet nervously, shooting Ginzo a confused look "I don't see the benefits of going out" It was mid afternoon and small snowflakes could be seen falling to the ground if he looked out the window.

Ginzo let out a breath "We both need a non-duty change of pace" Kaito more so than him. But even he had to admit that the idea of going out sounded quite appealing now that he thought about it. He gave a small shrug "We could also head to a park since nobody would question a child playing there"

A small blush tinted Kaito's cheeks as he messed with his sleeves "I'm too old to play at the park" He was 13, even if he didn't look it, yet. Not to mention that he's never gone to a proper park to play before. Though he had occasionally snuck onto the odd swing set at night once in a while. Never during the day though.

"You look young enough to not stand out" Ginzo breathed "I highly doubt that you'd been able to when you were younger, so you're going now" Kaito was mature, very mature. But at the same time he was still a child, and occasionally acted younger than he actually was. The memory of Kaito splashing around in that lake had been both a surprising realization, and a good one.

Kaito was silent as they left their apartment, feeling a little unsure about the whole situation. Though once the first bit of chilled air hit him, some of his tiredness left him, giving him a bit of some much needed energy. Ginzo wanted him to act like a child, but he really didn't know how to do that. He'd always had to act older than he was ever since he'd been little, and it had only gotten worse once both his parents had died. Kaito sniffed, indigo watery for some reason once the coldness fully set in.

Ginzo raised a brow "What's wrong?" The boy had suddenly grabbed his hand and was now trembling, almost violently.

The boy opened his mouth to respond, but no words came out. He tried again but he only managed to let a whine out. Both bloody and normal tears trickled down his face as he shook his head. Why was he acting like this? He didn't understand, he was scared, but why?

The inspector let out a string of curses before ushering Kaito back inside. It wouldn't be good if they attracted attention like this. The way Kaito's breath had suddenly sped up was concerning, was he having a panic attack? If so, then why?

By the time they entered their apartment, Kaito's vision was blurred, forcing him to lean on Ginzo for guidance.

Shit, Ginzo bit his lip as he saw Kaito start to sway, the boy was going to pass out again at this rate.

Me: Do you guys have an idea as to why Kaito is like this?

Hope you enjoyed~