106. Story of Concern

1031 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written June 13 2021
Posted July 10 2021

QAQ Pre-Written... No extra update, gotta set up next big book

"What are you doing here?" The inspector nearly choked on his words, thoroughly exhausted and just feeling too many conflicting emotions. Ginzo was almost afraid to let go of his daughter.

"Aoko was dropped off here" Aoko sniffed "Aoko thought you were dead for months until Jii-chan told her that you weren't" Knowing that her dad was alive was a lot different than actually seeing him alive. She was so happy.

Ginzo's gut wrenched painfully at his daughter's words "I'm so sorry Aoko"

"It's fine" The girl wiped at her eyes "You were protecting Aoko and hiding from the bad guys" She paused, suddenly taking notice of the boy lying unconscious in the hospital bed "Who is that?" Her brows furrowed witch concern as she noticed her father's bloodied clothes and bandaged foot for the first time "Did the bad guys hurt him too?"

The inspector nodded sadly "They hurt Kaito" It was hard to find the right words to explain just how much the Crows had harmed the boy "They basically destroyed his world which left him all alone with a lot of pain to deal with" If Aoko was here, then it should be okay to be free with his words "Despite his pain, he protected and helped me" What would have happened if he hadn't been found by Kaito?

Aoko turned towards the bed, blue eyes wide with shock "But he's so young!" The boy in the bed was so tiny and the surrounding machines made him look even smaller. She was a lot taller than him too!

Despite the situation, Ginzo cracked a small smile "He's actually your age, but stuff happened and he didn't grow right"

The girl eyed Kaito with newfound concern. Kaito must be amazing, she couldn't imagine taking on bad guys "Is he going to be okay?" There were a lot of bandages, and the straps holding him in place were weird "Aoko doesn't understand why he's restrained"

"Kaito isn't in any danger of dying anymore" His blood loss hadn't been as bad as it'd seemed, thank god "But the doctor is still running some tests to make sure that he'll be okay after he wakes up" Ginzo frowned "He was shot somewhere in the lower back" He hesitated, guilt once again taking a hold of him "I moved him around a lot so they want to make sure that nothing is wrong with him" The surgery hadn't been long at all, the bullet had been whole so they'd just stopped the bleeding after extracting it and had given him a few blood transfusions. Once Kaito was no longer in immediate danger of dying, they started running tests on him.

Aoko nodded, still somewhat shocked "It would be bad if he moved and hurt himself then"

Ginzo contemplated his daughter's words before replying "Aoko, do you want to know more about Kaito?" He wanted his daughter to know. At the girls nod, he smiled and began to tell her everything from the start.

He told her about the poison, his shock at Kaitou Kid's identity. How Kaito never truly knew what his parents looked like until after they'd died. Telling her how Kaito hadn't really had a name had been painful. He also told her about what he knew of Kaito's past, how he used to intentionally harm himself emotionally and physically out of guilt by selling himself despite the many talents that the boy had. Ginzo told her of Kaito's mental and emotional problems, how he'd been forced to ignore a lot of them because of their circumstances. He told her about the Crows, magic, and how they'd actually managed to find Pandora. Ginzo told Aoko everything, especially how much he'd come to love and adore Kaito. The tale ended with both of them crying.

"Aoko... Can't believe that she used to hate Kaito" She'd blamed Kid for stealing her father away. And in a way, she'd been kinda right... But being right was painful, doing heists just because he was lonely? That was sad, very sad. It hurt to think about. The girl sniffed "Aoko doesn't hate him anymore" She just felt really sad for him, even she could tell that the other wasn't okay just from her father's tale.

Ginzo's gaze softened, his daughter was such a great person "He was really focused on reuniting us"

The girl nodded "Aoko could tell..." Aoko wiped at her eyes, her expression souring "What's going to happen to Kaito?" Kaito had very few people in his life from what she knew.

"I'm not sure, but I know that Hakuba-san is probably working on it" He rubbed the heel of his palm against his forehead "Everything just happened all so fast, I haven't been paying much attention to anything besides Kaito's health"

Aoko pursed her lips "Aoko doesn't think that Kaito would be happy if you just worried about him" Not if the boy was able to be guilt tripped with concern.

Ginzo sighed "I know, but-" He looked down at his hands "He was bleeding out in my arms, and I could do nothing but wait and give him what little comfort I could" Kaito's small voice, asking to be held... He couldn't stop himself from thinking about it. How scared had Kaito been? Or... An uneasy feeling churned in his gut, had Kaito been happy that he was dying?

"Aoko could tell you about what she's been up to?" Her dad had told her, and while painful, her story wasn't as nearly as horrible as his had been "That way you'll be distracted"

The inspector blinked before nodding "I'd love to know about how you were, I missed you so much" Aoko smiled and told him all about how everything had gone after that fateful heist. At the end, Ginzo ended up giving Aoko a big hug. Kaito had really kept his word on making sure that Aoko would be alright "You were very strong Aoko"

Aoko blushed, her response cut off when Dr. Kalos came back carrying a clipboard.

"Is there anything wrong?" Ginzo inquired, alert.

Dr. Kalos sighed "The injury was very messy on the inside, but for some reason it shows signs of partial healing" It was very odd "Unfortunately, his spinal cord received additional trauma after the initial injury"

Me:... Planned from the start!! Not a sudden sadistic idea!! >~< hmmm Kaito wasn't in pain after being moved around a lot...

Berry is very happy right now~

Hmm how will Ginzo react~ ... 'Additional trauma after the initial injury' >~< hmm

Comment? ^-^

>~< I love the smell of garlic, it smells so tasty