Sus

The Next Day

I was tossing and turning in bed all night. I couldn't catch a wink of sleep because of how antsy I was; I needed to get ahead of this case. Last night proved that I had much more riding on this. I turned over to my side and saw that it was 7:30 in the morning.

Screw it. I've got to get to the cafe.

Maybe Mrs. Rodriguez was able to get a hit on something with the information I gave her. She was super good at finding things out with little to no information. I gave her at least two days to do her magic, so I was expecting a miracle in my email inbox. I got up and started getting ready to bike to the cafe. I told myself that I would get breakfast at the cafe.

I remembered that I needed to be dressed appropriately to meet Jason back at the bungalow in two hours. I packed some sunscreen and a small first aid kit just in case. I brushed my teeth and put on my clothes. I jetted out of the cabin and got my bike out of the shed. I started on my 15 minute bike ride down the road.

Once I made it, I couldn't even get the bike locked on the rack good enough because I was so eager to connect to the WIFI. I barged through the front door which scared Khelani from her diligent work on refilling the coffee grounds.

"SHIT! Stella!" She gasped, "Good morning to you too!"

"Hey Khelani," I said curtly and sat down in my booth. I opened my laptop and went searching for the WIFI.

"Come on, come on," I tapped impatiently on my touchpad. Once it connected, I refreshed the page to my email. I soon heard the ping of a new email.

Boo-yah.

To:

Subject: REPLY

Call me

Sincerely,

Gracie Rodriguez

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. The email was so short and open-ended; no attachments, no nothing.

Call her?

I stopped thinking of the different scenarios that could play out and decided to dial Mrs. Rodriguez.

"What's going on-" Khelani started. I quickly shushed her once Mrs. Rodriguez answered the phone.

"But-" said Khelani. I held my finger up and began talking.

"Mrs. Rodriguez! I called as soon as I could. What's up, what's going on? What did you find?!" I said all too quickly.

"Oh dios mío, calm down honey! Are you alone right now?" She questioned.

"Yes, Mrs. Rodriguez. What did you find?"

"What I found is completely confidential. The woman you sent me is a person who's being protected. My husband from the FBI confirmed it that her identity was sealed, but he doesn't know who was behind it. It must have been a favor, because she hasn't been convicted of anything in the past 8 years; keeping her head low. It took an arm and a leg to try to link her real name to the name she currently goes by."

"And that is..."

"Lisa Bonet. Lilakoi Moon is now Lisa Bonet. Get out a pen and paper so that I can give you her address." I did what I was told and let her know to continue.

"This couldn't be sent through an email, so here it goes. Her address is 418 Cleavers Rd. It's about 40 miles out west from where you are currently."

"Okay, this is perfect. I've got to get there ASAP. Thank you, Mrs. Rodriguez. I don't know how I can repay you-"

"Honey, I'm not finished. There's something else you need to know..."