No Place to Go But Up

"Whew, chile. They really did a winner on my acrylics! Not too short huh?!" I wiggled my fingers in Jason's face. He swatted it away with a light chuckle.

"Put your seat belt on," he said as he turned the key into the ignition. I did what I was told this time, and happily did so. The nail technician was super sweet and took her time in my nail work. Dare I say it, but they were better than the one back at home, and I've been with them ever since I moved to New York. My nails were long, square, and designed with pink powder and flowers.

"Thank you again. They were amazing. You have a nice taste," I nodded towards his own manicure with clear polish. He grunted and accelerated the truck out the parking lot and on to the road.

"You have an excursion tomorrow. Early." I raised my eyebrow at how he emphasized 'early'.

"How early are we talking?"

"5 in the morning." I laughed with my mouth open.

"Where are you taking me in the ass crack of dawn, Jason?!"

"You won't be disappointed. It's one of the favorable excursions given by Paradise Keke. It's a... surprise," He cleared his throat at the end.

"Alright then, that's fine with me. Oh, shoot-" I took out my phone, "I'm supposed to meet with your dad around 1 pm. What time do you think we'll get back?" Jason let out a frustrated sigh.

"Look, Stella. When are you going to quit this, hm? I told you that we're not interested, and yet, you keep on insisting that you can fix all of this. Hell, you're not from here nor do you understand how it's been for my makuakāne. I'm asking you again, to butt out of this." Jason seem to try to get me to understand by calming his tone with me.

"Like I said... What time are we getting back so I can tell Matthew-"

"DAMMIT WOMAN CAN'T YOU LISTEN." I pointed my fresh acrylic up in the air.

"First of all... lower your voice."

"STELLA YOU AREN'T LISTENING. WHY AREN'T YOU FUCKING LISTENING."

"Oh nuh-uh! Don't you ruin this day for me, now. Not like this, you aren't! And I am listening. But, as far as I'm concerned, I'm working for Matthew. So when Matthew wants me to quit, then I will. So, until then, I will continue on forth with my investigation"

"Investigation? You're a LAWYER, Stella! Not the police. Stop digging before you hit something that you can't turn away from. I mean it," He turned his face to me for the first time, "Please."

"Look towards the road, sir. What has got you so spooked? It seems as though you aren't terrified of your family, so what is it? It may help me get somewhere with this case. Whatever you're hiding, I'm sure we can use it to our advantage and work it out."

I was trying to calm him down with my words. His demeanor was tense and his infamous grip on the wheel was deadly. He was hiding something; which also meant that Matthew was hiding something. Whatever they both were holding out on me, I needed to know so that there weren't any surprises that I couldn't get ahead of.

For some time, there was silence. We made it to the grounds of the resort, and then, close to my cabin. Once he drove in front of the lawn, I unbuckled myself and placed my hand on the door handle. But before I opened the door, I turned to Jason again.

"Last shot, Jason. What's going on? Let me help you and father get out of this."

"Can you wipe away the time of money laundering and gang affiliation, hm?" He said all of a sudden with his lips pressed against each other and his eyebrows raised.