"Will I regret my decision?" I asked the Alpha, who had yet to stop stroking my skin. My body shuddered and I slowly tugged to free my wrist, as it was becoming difficult to concentrate with his caresses.

"No." Hannes firmly spoke, allowing me to pull my hand away. His honey eyes were darker than usual when I looked at them, and they surveyed me with an intensity that made my entire body warm until I began walking to leave the cave.

I could hear his heavy footsteps behind me, following, and I lowered my gaze to the snow as I walked, silently thinking of the promise I'd made to myself as a young child regarding lycans after I had been imprisoned,

Do not be so quick to trust.

**********

The blade of the knife sliced smoothly through an onion repeatedly and rapidly, and it's strong scent filled the room, along with the various spices and seasonings.

I watched from the doorway as Athena and several other cooks bustled around the kitchen, gathering the necessary ingredients for the dinner they were to prepare.

My fingers curled around the doorframe when Athena looked over her shoulder, easily spotting me despite the five other bustling persons walking back and forth before her in the kitchen. White teeth gleamed as she smiled widely, and I frowned at the glimpse of fangs.

"Come on Olivia. I won't work you too hard." Athena's voice carried over the noises of the kitchen, the sizzling of pans and words being exchanged.

An apron was wrapped around Athena's waist, and her twists were pulled away from her face as she sauntered over to me, urging me to take her hand when all I did was stare.

I hesitated to move as eyes swung our way, but did allow her to guide me to where she'd been working. I looked over the now sliced onions, and then the peppers that I knew would need to be cut.

"Here you go." She slid a knife to me, and I wrapped my fingers around the handle. Using my free hand, I held the bell pepper in place, on top of a chopping board, and began to slice.

Athena stayed by my side throughout this time, and I felt sweat trickle down my neck as she watched my every act. 

Although Athena had shown no outward hostility towards me, her mere presence made me nervous. Her aura was one which could be overwhelming and intimidating, and I had an inkling that although she could be very sweet, she could also be extremely unpredictably dangerous.

"Did you do much cooking in Corozal?"

The knife snapped noisily against the chopping board and I hissed under my breath as I saw the strange way in which I sliced the pepper. I peeked up briefly to Athena as I answered,

"I did some cooking, yes. But I was not very good." I focused back on my task as she hummed softly, wiping her hands against the apron as she continued to observe me.

"I was a horrible cook when I was younger too."

I paused, and my lips curled downwards into a frown. "I didn't say I'm a horrible cook," I muttered, whilst Athena giggled, waving a hand for me to stop my slicing.

I watched silently as she swiped the chopped peppers into a bowl with the onions, and handed it off to a cook. The man made his way to one of the three frying pans on a large stove, and tossed the contents of the bowl into one of them.

Immediately more sizzling noises erupted in the room, and Athena intertwined her fingers as she inhaled and exhaled loudly.

"Those noises remind me of when my mother would cook some stir fried vegetables for my father. It was his favorite way to eat them." She glanced across to me when I said nothing, and continued speaking, "Hannes as a child disliked them being made that way though. I think he still does."