❧24

The Truth Hurts

"I sure do love an actual bed," Namjoon yawned dramatically, mentally wincing at the memory of a shitty excuse of one he'd laid on the night before at the city station. "Hey, Hyung."

"Hey." Yoongi was placing his two halves of the bagel on a plate and nudging it into the microwave to warm. Namjoon knew that the carbs wouldn't be as worthwhile that way, but he didn't bother giving his two cents knowing how disastrous he could be in the kitchen. "You good?"

"As good as I can be." Namjoon shrugged. "That bail wasn't cheap."

"At least we were able to post it."

He hummed and grabbed a glass from the cabinet, running the filtered faucet to fill it just under the rim. "At least the trials in a few weeks so we have some peace of mind."

"Yeah." Yoongi shrugged the topic away as he pointed at the roof. "Storm came in early this morning."

"It woke me up," Namjoon nodded, tipping his head back to down the water. "Jeongguk's gonna be out for some time."

"Ever wonder why he does that?"

"If he wanted us to know, he woulda' told us."

"That seems to be the theme of this summer." Yoongi huffed and the younger frowned, setting his glass down. "You've noticed how quiet he's been since we got you out of the station, haven't you?"

"Oh, I thought I was just going crazy." Namjoon scratched his head, glancing at the short hallway off to the side that lead to a resting Jeongguk. "Haven't seen him smile at all honestly."

"I mean it's not entirely out of nowhere."

"...what?"

"He's fine, Namjoon." Yoongi shook his head. The microwave beeped as it turned off and the mint haired man was reaching for the handle and pulling his plate out. "A lot just happened."

"A lot? Were you just not going to say anything unless I asked?" Namjoon's lips parted in offense, hating that one day had put such an effect on his friends. "What does a lot even mean?"

"A shit ton. An abnormal amount—"

"Don't be a smartass, Hyung." His eye twitched in irritation as Yoongi set his plate down and grabbed some spread and a butter knife. "I want an actual answer."

"And I'm not in the mood."

"Not in the mood—" Namjoon stepped closer and grabbed the front of Yoongi's shirt, bunching it in his fist and jerking the smaller man to him. "You don't think I have eyes, Yoongi? I know Jeongguk's not okay and I'll be damned if I let him just stay upset."

"Let go of me, Joon." Yoongi grip on the butter knife tightened and the taller raised a brow, chuckling lowly.

"Butter knife won't do shit, you know."

"I don't think you want to test that theory." He knew Yoongi's words were empty, the mint haired elder wouldn't raise a hand on him or Jeongguk, but it was amusing to Namjoon to hear the threat anyway.

"The fuck happened after those officers took me?"

"All hell broke loose."

"Yoongi."

"Jeongguk punched Jimin, okay?" Yoongi rolled his eyes, setting the knife down. "It's not a big deal."

"If it wasn't a big deal, you wouldn't be so cryptic about it!" Namjoon countered. "Jeongguk doesn't lay a hand on anyone and you're saying it's not a problem. Is that why he's so— so down?"