❧02

Spark in the Heart

The evening stroll to the diner was beautiful, the horizon facing East and simply washed with the sun's paintbrush of vibrant hues. The four surfers had arranged the home to their liking that afternoon, waxed their boards and relaxed on the back porch for their first day back by the shore.

They didn't always go to the diner for meals, but it was due seeing as Mark was finally back, having been stalled on his way home earlier with an emergency at the dance studio he worked at in the city.

"Now that's a sunset." Taehyung stared in awe, enamored by Mother Nature's personal canvas. "Best part of the day besides sunrise."

"Ha!" Hoseok threw an arm around his shoulders, dragging him down slightly as they continued down the walkway that hugged the road. "I remember you telling us how you wanted to be, quote, kissed just like the sun did with the earth at this hour."

"Poetic romantics," Jimin sighed dramatically.

"My brother's a hopeless romantic." Jin snorted. "People haven't hit on you in school, Tae?"

"I am pretty quiet at uni," he shrugged, being the center of attention making his confidence cave in. "Not everyone is popular like you, Hyung."

They were approaching the diner quickly, the small parking lot of the cozy beach-side restaurant under their feet as the conversation flowed like the passing breeze.

"What can I do?" Jin grinned. "I'm just amazing."

"You narcissistic fuck." Hoseok scoffed, earning the eldest's dashing smile in return. "People would buy your food just for your looks. Imagine— you could poison them so easily."

"Damn, Mr.Sunshine went dark," Taehyung laughed.

They reached the steps leading to the diner's main entrance, hearing the small bells jingle when they pushed the glass forward, open sign swinging with every movement of the door. The smell of greasy delicacies filled Taehyung's senses and he loved every second of it.

The diner was busier in the evenings, but most customers took seating on the back patio, umbrellas opened for shade and string lights sparkling around the perimeter of the porch. As the sky darkened the lights shone brighter like their sibling stars in the night.

The quieter indoor area of the diner greeted them, and with it, the long-awaited diner owner's son wiping down some tables.

The man's face jerked up at the sound of the entrance bells, jaw slackening in surprise as joy poured into his eyes.

"Taehyung?"

"Mark Hyung!"

The two collided in a clumsy embrace, stumbling at the harsh force tag teaming with the awkward angle. They simply didn't care, holding onto each other after two years of absence.

"Gosh, look at you!" The elder ruffled his fake strands and Taehyung looked at him with scrunched eyes and exposed teeth. "Handsome fella!"

Taehyung felt the flutter in his stomach at the compliment, moving to Mark's side as the elder greeted the other surfers.