This girl is a badass

"We can negotiate," Piper said.

"We'll only accept a fair price," Amoriel added.

"Totally!" Leo agreed. "Name your price. "

Amoriel couldn't help but facepalm at her stupid boyfriend. These boys will get them killed.

"Leo!" Piper snapped.

The princess chuckled. "Name my price? Perhaps not the best haggling strategy, my boy," Oh Amoriel couldn't agree more, "But at least you know a thing's value. Freedom is very valuable indeed. You would ask me to release this satyr, who attacked my storm winds—"

"Who attacked us," Amoriel interjected.

Her Highness shrugged. "As I said, my patron asks me for small favors from time to time. Sending the storm spirits to abduct you—that was one. I assure you it was nothing personal. And no harm was done, as you came here, in the end, of your own free will! At any rate, you want the satyr freed, and you want my storm spirits—who are very valuable servants, by the way—so you can hand them over to that tyrant Aeolus. Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? The price will be high. "

"Who's your patron?" Amoriel asked, her eyes narrowed.
The princess grinned. "You'd wish you never asked, dear."

I could see that the boys were ready to offer anything, promise anything. Before they could speak, Piper played our last card.

"You're Medea," she said. "You helped the original Jason steal the Golden Fleece. You're one of the evilest villains in Greek mythology. Jason, Leo—don't trust her. "

Her words seem to have affected the boys to some extent as Leo scratched his head and looked around like he was coming out of a dream. "What are we doing, again?"

"Boys!" The princess spread her hands in a welcoming gesture. Her diamond jewelry glittered, and her painted fingers curled like blood-tipped claws. "It's true, I'm Medea. But I'm so misunderstood. Oh, Piper, Amoriel, my dears, you don't know what it was like for women in the old days. We had no power, no leverage. Often we couldn't even choose our own husbands. But I was different. I chose my own destiny by becoming a sorceress. Is that so wrong? I made a pact with Jason: my help to win the fleece, in exchange for his love. A fair deal. He became a famous hero! Without me, he would've died unknown on the shores of Colchis. "

Jason—their Jason—scowled. "Then ... you really did die three thousand years ago? You came back from the Underworld?"

"Death no longer holds me, young hero," Medea said. "Thanks to my patron, I am flesh and blood again. "

"You ... re-formed?" Leo blinked. "Like a monster?"

Medea spread her fingers, and steam hissed from her nails, like water splashed on hot iron. "You have no idea what's happening, do you, my dears? It is so much worse than a stirring of monsters from Tartarus. My patron knows that giants and monsters are not her greatest servants. I am mortal. I learn from my mistakes. And now that I have returned to the living, I will not be cheated again. Now, here is my price for what you ask. "

"Guys," Amoriel said. "The original Jason left Medea because she was crazy and bloodthirsty. "

"Lies!" Medea said.

"Jason met another princess, on the way back from Colchis and he agreed to marry her and dump Madea," Amoriel continued, looking at Jason and Leo straight in the eyes.

"After I bore him two children!" Medea said. "Still he broke his promise! I ask you, was that right?"

Jason and Leo dutifully shook their heads, but Amoriel and Piper weren't through.