MEN are dumb

Amoriel was glad when they finally broke the camp and started to walk down a tunnel. It twisted and turned, and seemed to go on forever. She wasn't really sure what to expect at the end-a dungeon, a mad scientist's lab, or maybe a sewer reservoir. Instead, they found polished steel elevator doors, each one engraved with a cursive M. Next to the elevator was a directory board like they have in shopping malls.

"M for Macy's?" Piper guessed. "I think they have one downtown in Chicago."

"Or Monocle motors still?" Leo asked. "Guys, look at the directory, it's messed up."

And indeed it was.

Parking, Kennels and Main entrance-sewer level

Furnishings and Cafe M:1

Women's fashion and magical appliances:2

Men's wear and weaponry:3

Cosmetics, potions, poisons, and sundries:4

"Kennels for what?" Piper asked stupidly. "And what sort of department store has their entrance in a sewer?"

"Or sells poisons?" Leo continued. "What do sundries even mean, is it like, underwear?"

Amoriel took a deep breath. "When in doubt, start at the top."

The doors slid open on the first floor, and Jason stepped out sword ready.

"Guys?" he called. "You have got to see this." And they stepped out, one by one. They caught their breaths.

"This is not Macy's," Piper said, awestruck. Amoriel rolled her eyes.

"Oh, really piper? What gave you the idea?"

The department store looked like the inside of a kaleidoscope. The entire ceiling was a stained glass mosaic, with astrological signs around a giant sun. The daylight streaming through it washed everything inside a thousand different colors. The upper floors made a ring of balconies around a huge central atrium, so they could see all the way down to the ground floor. Gold railings glittered so brightly, they were hard to look at. Amoriel's instincts flared up. This place was so calm and beautiful. She looked around. Apart from the elevator and the roof, there were no other entrances and exits, but there were two sets of glass escalators ran between the levels. She looked down The carpeting was a riot of oriental patterns, and colors and the racks of merchandise were just as bizarre. There was too much to take at once, but she also did see racks of normal stuff like shirts, and shoe trees, but they were mixed in with armored mannequins, beds of nails, and fur coats...were they...moving?!

Leo stepped to the railing and looked down.

"Check it out!" In the middle of the atrium, a fountain sprayed water twenty feet into the air, changing color from red to yellow to blue. The pool glittered with gold coins-drachmas, Amoriel realized with a jolt. She gritted her teeth. They were in the lair of a Greek legend. And she was pretty sure it wasn't a good one. On either side of the fountain stood an oversized canary cage. In one, there was a miniature hurricane swirled, and lightning flashed. In the other, frozen like a statue, was a short, buff satyr, holding a tree branch club.

"Coach hedge!" Piper yelled. "We need to get down there!"

"May I help you find something?" a cool female voice said behind them. All four of them jumped back. She smiled.

"I'm so happy to see new customers! How may I help you?" Amoriel gulped.

"We've walked right into the trap," she muttered under my breath. No-one heard her. Leo glanced at Jason, like 'all yours'.