Chapter 28

It had been a week since that fateful Friday night that left Ashton crying in Calum's lap, and to say his heart still stung would be an understatement. Luke hadn't stopped texting and calling him all week, but each message did nothing except send a painful reminder of shock and embarrassment through Ashton's heart.

It got to the point where by Wednesday of the next week Ashton went as far as to block Luke's number. He wanted to believe the pleads Luke was sending him, wanted to believe the wobble in his voice on the numerous voicemails, but he just couldn't.

Ashton refused to let himself get roped back into Luke's game. He couldn't let himself believe Luke's false pleads and flattery and risk himself getting hurt again. He just couldn't.

"Hey Ashton, you okay?" A touch on Ashton's shoulder made him practically jump out of his skin and the knife he was holding clattered to the counter. "Woah there, Ash," Wendall's eyes furrowed in concern as he carefully took the knife from Ashton's hands and turned the honey haired blonde around to face him.

"Shit, I'm uh- I'm sorry Wendell, I guess I'm just a bit distracted today." Ashton sighed as he pulled off his gloves and let his hand run through his hair, pulling at the roots.

"Hey, why don't we take a break? I'm sure Erica can man the kitchen for a few minutes, the lunch rush is ending in a few anyways." Wendall nodded over to where their poissonnier gave him a thumbs up.

Ashton hesitated, but he eventually gave in, taking off his coat and handing it over to Wendall before he lead the way towards the break room. Wendall went to pull out a chair at the table, but before he could sit down Ashton grabbed his jean jacket and walked back out of the room, Wendall following behind him like a lost puppy.

"Where are you going Ash?"

Ashton pushed open the back door and leaned against the wall as he grabbed his pack of smokes from his pocket.

"Just need some fresh air."

"Well, that's one definition of fresh air." Wendall joked as Ashton lit his cigarette and took a long drag.

Ashton coughed out a breathy laugh before he inhaled again, blowing smoke up into the air. "It's my definition of fresh air."

Silence fell between them as Ashton finished his first cigarette, crushing the filter under his shoe and lighting another.

"Ashton, what's going on with you?" Wendall turned to face Ashton directly and Ashton couldn't avoid his eye any longer.

Ashton blew out another puff of smoke, fiddling with the cigarette between his fingers before he looked down at his shoes. "I uh, ended things with Luke," he shrugged trying to play it off as if it didn't affect him as much as he knew it did. "I guess we weren't exactly on the same page."

"I'm sorry, Ash," Wendall sighed as he let his hand fall on Ashton's shoulder. "I could tell you really liked him."

Ashton chuckled as he snubbed out the last of his cigarette. "Yeah, well, I guess the feeling wasn't exactly mutual."

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking..."

Ashton sighed as he stuffed his hands into his pockets and leaned back against the wall. "I thought things were serious between us, but then he ignored all of my messages for a week, and when I finally confronted him about it I found out he's been seeing other people... god, it was just so embarrassing. I don't know why I just assumed we were exclusive, it was stupid of me." Ashton forced out a laugh as he quickly wiped away a couple tears. It might have been a week, but the pain still stung.

"You're not stupid, Ashton," Wendall carefully grabbed Ashton's shoulder and turned him so that Ashton was looking into his eyes. "he's the stupid one for not realizing what he had." Wendell hesitantly reached out and brushed his fingers along Ashton's cheek. "You don't deserve to be anyone's second choice."