Chapter 46

After storming off on Maureen, he noticed a glimpse of honey blonde hair out of the corner of his eyes. Ashton had heard it all.

Luke was panicked.

Not only had he let Maureen get in his head, but he knew Ashton was going to overthink it. It was who he was, and Luke knew he couldn't help it.

Had Maureen been a man, Luke wouldn't have hesitated to punch her in the face. But instead, he took a deep breath and walked away. He needed to clear his head. The party was set to start in an hour, and Luke wasn't sure he'd be able to hold it together the whole time. He found himself in Ashton's old room. Even though Ashton hadn't lived there in years, it still smelled like him. It was soothing.

The thought of Ashton was enough to send tingles through Luke's body, a calming warm glow of peace that he'd never felt before. The first time he'd felt it, he thought it was a fluke. They stayed over at his parents house for his dad's 60th birthday and fell asleep drunk in a pile of limbs on Luke's childhood bed. When he woke up, Ashton was wrapped around him like a koala, his hot breath fanning against the crook of Luke's neck. The heat of Ashton's breath sent shivers down his spine, and when he looked down at his boyfriend, his breath caught in his throat. He couldn't help the way his chest tightened as he took in his boyfriend's soft face. His cheeks were slightly pink from the heat of the room and the alcohol still leaving his system, and his eyelashes looked like threads of gold laying against his skin in the mid morning sun. All in all, Ashton Irwin was a fucking god. Even Luke, an actual art student, would rather stare at Ashton all day than the work in any museum.

Luke had an idea of what he was thinking at the time, but it was never more clear than it was now.

Maureen had a point. Luke and Ashton were in very different places in life. But there was one thing that Maureen didn't know; it didn't matter if Luke was ten laps behind, he'd sprint until his lungs bled if it meant catching up with Ashton.

And that's when he realized.

Luke loved Ashton.

He laid back on the bed, letting the soft mattress mold to his body. Even though he could feel his blood pressure skyrocketing, his body relaxed being surrounded by Ashton. He knew this was Maureen's goal from the beginning; to play with Luke's mind. She knew he was young and just assumed he didn't know what he wanted. But that's where she was wrong.

Luke knew what he wanted. He wanted Ashton. No, scratch that.

He needed Ashton.

And she opened his eyes. He didn't just want Ashton. He didn't just need him, he loved him.

Luke was never one to talk about his feelings; hell, until Ashton came along Luke could have avoided the concept of love for the rest of his life. It scared the shit out of him that he was feeling things he couldn't control. The last time this happened, Luke ended up a sobbing puddle in Michael's arms after being screamed at by Drew's wife. He couldn't go back to that Luke. And it scared him, because he knew that is where he was headed. Only this time, it would end up so much worse.

Ashton held Luke in the palm of his hand, and it didn't even scare him.

That is what scared him.

Luke was falling harder than he ever had and it was only a matter of time before he had to confront it. Before he had to confront Ashton. The clock was ticking, and he didn't know what to do.

"Knock knock." A soft voice from the doorway broke Luke from overthinking and he shot his head up to see Anne leaning against the wall. He fell back on the bed without a word.