Birthdays

Freya

"I'm telling you! The whole thing is a metaphor!" Susie commented as my friends argued. I just sat back and watched as I sipped my chocolate milkshake. This is what true happiness feels like. I would trade every possession I ever owned for more times like these. 

"I think Harvey may have had his eyes closed during that part." Sabrina said snapping me back into reality. He started to defend himself but Sabrina cut him off with a kiss. They were so cute but sometimes it becomes too much. Like this moment. Right now.

"Alright, alright. Enough of that you two. This night is about Freya!" Roz interrupted. Sabrina instantly pulled away from Harvey and reached across the table to hold my hand. "Aw you guys are too good to me. It's just a birthday. There will be another one next year." I laugh.

"16 is a big year Frey, this is cause for celebration." Susie raises her milkshake. "To Freya, may she always grace us with her brains, sarcasm, beauty, and of course her presence." Everyone lifted their milkshakes. "To Freya." 

"Speaking of birthdays.... are you sure we can't have our normal birthday sleepover?" I asked Brina. Since our birthdays were so close, we would always hang out and celebrate. The celebration would start with a movie on my birthday, then a Halloween/Birthday party for Sabrina, then a sleepover at my house. Everything was always at my house. I've never been to Sabrina's house. Sure, I had met her Aunties many times, but I've only ever seen her house from far away. She was weird like that. Never letting me come over. "You heard Susie, 16 is a big year."  

She just smiled and looked down. "Let's not worry about that right now. Today is your day. Besides, I think you're going to need another milkshake soon."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We could have stayed there all night. We almost did. It wasn't until Dr. C came over and told us that he was locking up soon that we decided to leave. It was a school night after all. We gathered outside and stood there in the cold. "I'd better get home. I'm sure my Aunties are worried sick about me." Sabrina laughed.

"Want me to walk you home?" Harvey asked as if he didn't already know the answer. He was the only one that has ever been to Sabrina's house. He has never made it inside yet. He only gets to the front steps. Sabrina claims that it's because it's weird inside because the mortuary side. As if that would scare me off. I love all things spooky. Especially around this time of year.

We all hugged and everyone wished me happy birthday one last time. I was pretty sure it wasn't even my birthday anymore but I would gladly accept. 

It was a quiet walk home. I don't live far from the center of town. It's maybe a 10 minute walk. I don't mind it. Greendale was so quiet at this hour. Every thing was so still and peaceful.  It seemed as if there was always the smell of fall. You know when everything is crisp and clean. You could practically feel the leaves crunching under your feet. My house isn't exactly big. It was a nice fit for the four of us that lived there. The house fit our needs. 

The front porch steps were creaky and the door was a little slanted. I didn't mind. Mason always offered to fix them, but I thought that it was homey and gave the house character. I opened the door, expecting no one to be up but my sister, Parker was waiting for me. 

There are a couple of things that I should explain about my family. My parents passed away when I was little. Like a few days old little. Me and my sister lived with our grandparents until Parker turned 18. That's when she met Mason. The two of them had met the summer after she graduated high school. They were only 6 months into their relationship when they accidentally created Winter. You would think that a baby would have driven them apart, but it just made them happier. They got married a year after Winnie was born. Now we live together and I couldn't be happier. 

"You were out later than I expected." She yawned as she stood up from the couch. "Sorry. We lost track of time. Are Winnie and Mason-" "Asleep? Yeah. But I wanted to see my baby sister." She said.

As annoying as she was, she was my bigger sister and I owe her everything. So when she opened her arms, I just walked right into them. "They would've been so proud of you." She whispered as she rubbed my back. "Meh. I just hope they don't think I'm a total fuck up." I joke as the tears fall.