twelve

I try to let Taehyung's words stick with me as I wait for Namjoon in front of my apartment building: "You look hot. He's not gonna know what hit him." But, the longer I stand outside in the Seoul night, the nightlife already in full swing, the more nervous I feel. Nerves are normal for this kind of thing, especially when you're doing this kind of thing with someone as breathtaking as Namjoon, but the source of the nerves isn't Namjoon. It isn't the way I look, either-- Taehyung dressed me in skinny jeans, an olive green top that shows a bit of midriff, and an oversized gray blazer of his to complete the look. I've honestly never felt so put together and confident in how I look.

The source of the nerves is Dr. Jeon. The way our conversation ended the other day has had me on edge about this date all week. His demeanor had been so kind and gentle, before doing a complete 180 to cold and critical. His mood completely shifted, just at the mention of going on a date with Namjoon. It was almost like he actually cared.

Why would he? He had hated me for the majority of my time here, and only just started to come around. Why would what I do in my romantic life bother him? He said it himself on my first day that he wouldn't want anyone knowing he slept with an intern. The thought of that night makes me shiver-- the physical chemistry was definitely there. But that was then, and this is now. Plenty has changed since then, for better or for worse. 

A honk of a horn startles me out of my thoughts. A run down car with chipping red paint rolls up to the curb, and the driver quickly parks and hops out-- to reveal Namjoon. I've never seen him in anything but his hat and apron he wears behind the counter of the coffee stand at the hospital, and I didn't think he could physically look any better. Turns out I was extremely wrong.

He's all long legs and sparkling eyes. He wears gray slacks that stop just above black boots. He wears a white turtle neck with a light blue pea coat that stops at his knees. His caramelly brown hair is styled casually. He smiles at me, and I think I might've swooned hard enough to fall over if I hadn't been leaning against the wall of my building already. He opens the passenger side door and gestures for me to get inside, and I almost laugh at the cheesy smile on his face.

"Chivalry isn't dead." I tease him, stepping inside and letting him shut the door behind me. He runs around the front of the car and hops back in, buckling his seatbelt. 

"You look amazing." Namjoon says sincerely, and I don't even bother trying to hide the blush that warms my cheeks; there's no use. "I have to say I miss the neon green sneakers, though." 

"Yeah, I could say the same about your apron." I say, and he chuckles. We make small talk as he drives to the restaurant, talking about our respective days at work at the hospital. He had crazy customers, and my days in training with Chief Kim were mentally draining, but we were both doing pretty okay. Namjoon finally parks the car outside a nice looking restaurant, and I gawk at it. It looks fancy.

"Are you okay with this?" Namjoon asks, opening my door after insisting. I step out, feeling a little under dressed and mildly guilty.

"Of course, it looks perfect, I just...let's split the bill." I suggest, and Namjoon smiles at me, espresso eyes warm and kind as always.

"We haven't even looked at the menu yet." He says, and I sigh, nervously wringing my hands. Letting him pay this much for a first date is too much.

"I know, but--"

"No buts. I want to do this. I picked this place for a reason." Namjoon says, and I furrow my eyebrows at him in question. "One, the sushi here is orgasmic. Two, I believe the quality of the food you eat on a date should reflect the quality of the person you're on the date with." I can't help but gape at him at this, letting him take my hand in his big one.