thirty six

In med school--hell, in basic high school science class-- you learn about mirror neurons. One function of mirror neurons is learning through observation or imitation. Researchers hooked people up to an EEG and observe their brains while they watch another person perform a task. They discovered that the parts of the brain that showed activity were the same parts used in performing the task, even though the test subject didn't perform the task themself.

Mirror neurons also have a second function: they allow the comprehension of empathy. They enable humans to understand one another's emotions and feelings, down to the interpretation of facial expressions. 

In short, mirror neurons are why my chest feels absolutely ripped open, why I'm seeing red, and why I'm on a mission to find Min Yoongi. Mirror neurons are allowing me to feel how Taehyung is inevitable to feel when he finds out about Min Areum. When he finds out Yoongi, who is gay, is married to a woman. Yoongi, who kissed him and broke his heart within the same breath, was probably engaged the entire time.

I round the corner out of the emergency wing so quickly and sharply than I quite literally run smack dab into Jeongguk.

"Whoa." He exhales, gripping me by my shoulders, a surprised but undeniably pleasant grin on his lips. "Hey, you..." He trails off as I brush away his hands. "You okay? Did I do something?" He asks cautiously, and I run my fingers through my hair, feeling guilty for taking out my Min Yoongi induced anger on him.

"No, no, I'm sorry. You didn't do anything, you're perfect, you're...not secretly married to anyone, right?" I blurt out, and Jeongguk practically chokes on his own spit.

"What the fuck, no?" He asks, confusion evident in his voice. I let out a sigh, and after looking around to make sure no one else is in the hallway with us, I press a quick chaste kiss to his lips as gratitude for putting up with my antics.

"Thanks for the clarification." I say, and before he can process, I'm pivoting and continuing my quest to find Min Yoongi.

"Why'd you say that like it's a common issue?" Jeongguk calls after me, and I groan in discontent.

"You'd be surprised!" I call back over my shoulder.

After checking the cafeteria, the locker room, the on-call rooms and the lounge, I discover Yoongi eating his lunch outside. It's the same spot where Jeongguk and I eat sometimes when we don't want to be seen, by the dumpsters. Yoongi sits on top of one, sandwich in one hand and phone in the other.

"So, you're hanging out by the trash. That's fitting." I alert him to my presence, and he scowls at me through a bite of his sandwich.

"What's got you in a mood?" He asks, and I laugh humorlessly.

"I don't know, maybe your wife?"

Yoongi's face visibly pales, his eyes searching mine for any sign that I might not be onto him.

"What kind of joke is that?" He asks, trying to play it off as if his life didn't just flash before his eyes.

"It's not one. Nothing about this is funny." I reply, and Yoongi is silent, as if he doesn't want to say anything to incriminate himself if I really don't have proof. "Areum was just in the ER. Cut her hand open on a wine glass. A wedding gift."

"Oh, God..." Yoongi breathes out, voice barely there and hands trembling as he climbs off the dumpster. "Bong Soon." He says my name, desperation in his voice for the first time I've ever heard. Yoongi is always so nonchalant, to the point that some would even dismiss it for carelessness. 

"What the hell were you thinking?" I ask, venom seeping into my tone, and Yoongi flinches. "Why? Why would you do this?"

"Please, don't tell Taehyung." He answers, voice devoid of emotion, and I scoff, anger only growing exponentially.