42.2|| Loose Ends

Start from the beginning

"Celebrate what?" Kay asked gobsmacked. Coming from Jessie, the suggestion was really weird.

"In spite of everything, there are things which should be celebrated properly, Kay." She stood, the tired smile still on her face. "Sam and Skye getting engaged, you and Kyle getting back together. We never really threw a welcoming party for Sarah. And I want to celebrate that Jimmy's still alive. Even if he doesn't understand anything and couldn't care less, I want him to be there."

"Well, that makes perfect sense." Kay stood too and caught Jessie in a tight hug. "Thank you so much, for everything. You really are a wonderful friend."

"That I am," Jessie said with a wink, and let herself out.

♠️

Hidden on a patch of private beach, in the shadows of the bluffs overlooking the ocean, was a small wooden tavern built for private gatherings. With just one room decorated with seashells, anchors, life rafts and helms, it was remote and cozy. It belonged to a nice old man who brought them drinks and finger food, then disappeared into the back room to give them privacy.   

It turned out Jessie knew this place since she was a kid and had used it many times to escape her stifling family. Now, she filled the place with her new family, trying to escape the world outside. It suited Kay fine. She'd rather stay there too and pretend that everything was fine, that Jimmy's smile was genuine and not just drug-induced.

They'd been there for a mere half an hour until Tom joined them, all smiles and jokes, as if Angie hadn't left him, as if Jimmy actually recognized him. An hour later, in general surprise, Angie turned up as well, even if more discreetly and less happy looking.

In a place where reality had no access, it was easy to ignore the bad things, push away they pain. They talked and laughed well into the night, and as she glanced at everyone, Kay's soul filled with happiness. 

She'd never seen Jerry talk so much, and the way Sarah drank him up, her freckled face filled with pride, was more than adorable. They were a shining beacon together, building each other up, making each other happy, and it showed.

Sam and Skye were the same, his arm wrapped around her, though she tended to be a little more snarky in a way that reminded Kay of how Tom and Angie used to be. But Skye also used every opportunity to remind him of all the awesome things he'd done over the years and on their current adventure. 

For the first time, in the safety of the tavern, Sam explained what he'd found in Egypt properly and showed them the photographs he'd taken. They could do little but admire the colors since no one else could read Egyptian, but Sam assured them that as soon as he was done with the translation, he would bring forth wild theories for discussion.

Even if their relationship with the Agency was the tensest it had ever been, he was still determined to get this over with, and Kay agreed. It felt like it was their thing. They'd started it by getting that ruby out, and now they had to finish it one way or the other. But not now. Now, they needed a break and for once, they would take it. 

Everyone agreed, and the sense of community and family the decision brought with it was amazing.

Jessie had been right. There were reasons to celebrate and little things to bring everyone joy. Like the way Angie and Tom kept glancing at each other when the other wasn't looking, or how Jimmy, even if out of it, kept smiling at all of them, hazy but happy.

Kay had thought sitting next to him and Jessie would be torture, that Jessie would be worried and stiff throughout their meeting. But she joked and laughed like everyone else, leaning against Jimmy from time to time. He didn't pull away, just watched her as if he couldn't believe his luck. At one point, he wrapped his arm around Jessie's shoulders and leaned his forehead against hers.