Chapter 19

Big shout out to @MpanzaSD ! This chapter is dedicated to you.

Ntando's POV

Lobola day.

It was on the last Saturday of November.

I was woken up super early at 5am by Aunt Sara, "wake up uphekele abakhwenyana" (wake up and cook for the inlaws) , she said.

I groaned. For someone who had sacrificed her life to make her family happy, l didn't get why they were punishing me by waking me up at such an ungodly hour to cook for their pending in laws.

Actually, when l got to the kitchen, l wondered why l had been woken up early because there were my older female relatives everywhere and they seemed to have everything under control.

One of my aunts was making a fire outside, two of my cousins were cutting meat into pieces, another aunt was sweeping off some leaves on the paved yard, my mother and sis Mavy were wiping some plates and 3 of my grandmothers sat legs stretched on a reed mat on  the kitchen floor, nestling a huge teapot, two loaves of bread, jam and were happily feasting.

It blew my mind what time all these people had woken up from their homes and travelled to ours if they were already here and so active.

I took a deep breath, and one by one, started greeting everyone.

Everyone was excited to see me. The grandmothers told me l had done them proud and that l had set a good example to everyone of how things should be done. I just smiled and nodded, barely understanding what they meant.

My other aunts too smiled and gave me hugs. My cousins smiled shyly as they greeted me. If they felt awkward then l felt awkwarder -if the word even exists. Forgive me Queen if l am murdering your language.

Aunt Sara came and instructed me to make more tea to serve the men, l said okay, and when l went to the other side of the house to count how many they were, l was surprised to find they were quite a number, my dad, uncle Roy, Ngqabutho, other uncles and cousins. I greeted everyone , shook hands with some , made small talk with others while l made a mental count of everyone.

"I've counted 19 people in total so far Aunty" I said to Aunt Sara.

"Good" she said "but make tea for about 30 people, more people are still yet to join us"

Wow. I thought to myself. That's a lot. No kidding, by the time it was mid morning, I'd lost interest in counting how many of my relatives had arrived.

It was around 8am that Emerald finally arrived, l was so happy to see her l used her as an excuse for us to go and hide in my room for a bit.

"Em, l wish you had been here sooner!" I moaned.

"Geez" she laughed "l didn't think it was going to be this busy hey!"

"I've been up since 5am" l complained, but before our conversation could go any further, One of my cousins came in, "uh, sis Ntando, Aunt Sara said please show us where we can find liquid soap, please"

I sighed "okay I'm coming" as l gave an apron to Emerald, "let's go friend"

10am.

"Go and bath, go and bath, abakhwenyana are almost here," Aunt Sara came pulling me away from the vegetables l was cutting, "Cindy!" She called one of my cousins, "come and finish this up, Emerald, you go and freshen up too."

"Yes Aunty" l said happy to take a break.

Emerald waited for me in my room while l took a shower. Then l came back out and changed into my traditional outfit, it was a flared green African print skirt, that went down to me ankles, l put on a yellow tight body bsuit top that was tucked in the skirt, and had a head wrap matching the skirt.