Chapter 18

Big shout out to @BuhleNSibisi This chapter is dedicated to you.

Ntando's POV

I was getting married.

Well, that wasn't new.

But the groom sure was.

I was getting married to Thuso Mokoena. Even l was struggling to get into terms with it. I had to repeat it to myself several times so l could believe it.

I went on Facebook and Instagram to view his accounts to try and get an idea of what sort of a person he was.

Judging by the mostly flirtatious comments left by women on his posts, l concluded he was a ladies man.

But if he truly was a ladies man, why would a 38 year old well established heart surgeon be single to a point of having an arranged marriage.

I had so many questions and l intended to get the answers, he was coming to take me for a date in a couple of hours.

Everything around me had been happening so fast, a few weeks back, Ishmael and his family had walked out on us and nobody ever spoke of them again.

If l didn't know any better, l would think that this is what everyone had always wanted. Just thinking about it gave me a headache. I remembered how disappointed and hurt Ishmael had been when l refused his offer to leave everything and go to Botswana with him.

Sure l could have taken it. But l didn't have a fighting spirit in me anymore. I didn't have the strength to fight with my parents, l wanted peace. And if giving in to their demands was what it took, then so be it.

You should have seen Mrs Mokoena when she saw me at church the following Sunday, she was so happy that l had accepted the arranged marriage. She was all smiles and wouldn't let go of my arm the entire time, we even went to the ladies room together! Goodness!

She invited me to her home and l accepted, but had no intentions of honoring the invite anytime soon.

*

"I must say, l never thought we would be here, together under these circumstances" Thuso said smiling at me.

I looked at him and smiled back. It appeared extravagance was his style and l had to get used to it. For our date , we were having an early dinner at a 4 star hotel. I was reluctant to dress up but as always, my ever imposing mother had made sure l did. Sometimes l wondered why she wasn't marrying Thuso herself. The way she would smile and giggle whenever she saw him, one would think she was smitten or something.

"So what happened to your boyfriend?"

"We broke up"

"Why"

"I told him about you"

"Just like that?"

"Yes"

"Really? Just like that? Was there even a boyfriend or you made it up to play hard to get?"

I got up to leave.

He got up and grabbed my hand to stop me. "I'm sorry" he said, "please let's have our meal"

I looked at him and scowled, "lm starting to think this was a bad idea"

"No, no, " he shook his head and gave me a sad smile, "please, I'm sorry, we got off on the wrong foot. Please sit and we start afresh"