Chapter 9

The lunch meeting not date with Thuso actually lasted the entire afternoon and l arrived back home just after 5pm.

Mama and daddy were already back from work so l went to greet them.

"Where are you coming from" mama asked.

"Er, l had gone out with Thuso for lunch"

"Mokoena? The doctor?" Dad asked.

"Yes" l replied.

Mama smiled "oh yes he called earlier this morning and asked me if he could"

I wish l could say l was surprised.

Dad was impressed, " oh that's good, he is a responsible young man"

I wondered how both my parents knew Thuso but l did not ask.

"So did you enjoy your date?" Mama asked.

"It wasn't a date" l sighed, "we just went and ate food, that's all"

Mama and dad laughed. I dismissed myself and went to my room.

**

On Friday of that same week mama came home early from work and came straight to my room, were l was lying in bed and watching a series on my laptop.

"Mum?" I sat up on my bed, and checked the time, it was 12 mid day, an unusual time for her to be home.

"Have you bathed?" She asked.

Okay weird. "yes"

"Great, get up, we are going outfit hunting for your birthday lunch tomorrow"

Really? I didn't mind getting a new outfit for my birthday but this was too short a notice, l was enjoying my series, "do we have to do it today? I can always buy an outfit next week"

"No. Tomorrow is a big day for us" Mama wasn't taking no for an answer, "get up and lets go"

Well yes, tomorrow l was turning 23, apart from that there wasn't anything else amazing that would need me to get a new outfit, right?

I did as she said and followed her out of the house.

Mama drove us to town and took us to the best boutiques and departmental stores in the city, at first l was excited and tried choosing what l liked, but she would discredit my choices as not formal enough or not classy enough. In the end l realized she knew what she had in mind and l allowed her to be the one choosing the outfits.

By the time our mini shopping spree was done l had a new dress, shoes, jewelry  and perfume. It wasn't exactly my fashion taste, as mama's selection was more mature but the items were lovely all the same.

I thought since we were done we would go back home but mama had different plans, next stop was the hair salon.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

"To get your hair done" she said like that was the most obvious thing in the world.

But it wasn't because "there's nothing wrong with my current hairstyle, it's barely 2 weeks old and l still like it" l said.

Mama looked at me and pursed her lips, "hmm no l don't like it, lets have it changed"

I sighed and  once again gave in to her demands.