Chapter 8

Ntando's POV
Life is quite strange... Day by day nothing really changes.. We do the same routine things.. breathe in, breathe out, contribute our fair share of green house emissions which consequently will lead to the destruction of earth... Or at least that's what Scientists say..
But don't you sometimes see things turn out in some way and wonder how you got there? Because you feel caught off guard, helplessly hopeless..

Yes?

No?

Well at least that's how l felt. Mid week after the church incident l got a call from Thuso Mokoena, he wanted us to meet for lunch.

I wanted to turn him down but then l thought to just go out of politeness since it's what our mothers wanted. I told myself l would make it clear to him during the lunch meeting not date that l was already in a committed relationship.

I remember that day so well.. It was an ordinary, sunny, nothing special day, but l would remember it for a mighty long time as the day l should have ran away from home.

I'm getting ahead of myself.

A couple of hours after his call, Thuso was parked outside our gate ready to take me for lunch.

I did not feel too comfortable going to an unknown place with a man l barely knew, so l wore black skinny jeans, sandals and a pink silk shirt buttoned to the last hole. I looked at myself on the mirror as l applied my makeup and was satisfied.

Should he try to kidnap me or do anything weird, l was dressed in a way that was flexible enough for me to run.

I clasped on my promise ring necklace and had it hang over my shirt so as to give my outfit a little sparkle, make it a tad less serious and more casual, my short weave needed not much styling. Lastly l dabbed on some perfume and went to look for our house help.

"Sis Mavy I'm going out"

Sis Mavy had her back to me as she was busy ironing and she said "okay, see you later"

I continued standing and l asked her to look at me and see how l was dressed in case l went missing and she laughed. After she noted my look l gave her the name of the person l was going with and we bade each other goodbye.

When l got outside the gate Thuso immediately stepped out of his car and came to me and stood an arms length apart.

Okay is he expecting a hug?

I smiled at him, he smiled back,  l clutched my purse strap tighter which he must have noticed because he stepped back but continued smiling "hie"

"Hie" l awkwardly responded.

He opened the car door for me and l was in. I was seated inside the amazing Mercedes l had been marveling on on Sunday.

It looked new and smelled fresh.

"Nice car" l said as he started driving.

"Thanks" he said,

"How long have you had it" l asked as l subtly  scanned for a sell out sticker on the dashboard or windscreen, people from South Africa were famous for coming to Zimbabwe with hired cars.

"For about a year" he said.

l couldn't find any hint that it was a car hire so l gave him the benefit of doubt since I'd been told he was a doctor anyway. "Okay, you are taking good care of it hey, it still looks new"

"Yeah l try thanks" he smiled, "although I'm thinking of selling it"

"Oh why?"

"This is more of a bachelors car.. l now want to get married.. start a family, so lm planning to sell this one and buy 2 less extravagant family cars for me and my wife"