Chapter 7

Ntando's POV
It was the first Sunday after my graduation day and were back in Bulawayo.

Mama was very excited, my family went to a mainline church but l had left to join a new church which l felt was more enjoyable, however l would visit our mainline church from time to time.

On this particular Sunday mama insisted that we go to church together. I assumed it was the graduation excitement, she wanted to show off to her friends. She even came into my room and helped me pick out an outfit. I was surprised but l did not mind. It felt good to be in good books with her.

As l had speculated, the moment the church service was over, mama came and got me from my peers and took me to hers. They were all very excited and congratulated me on my graduation. I was not a fan of all the attention but the dollars that kept being pressed on my palm with each congratulatory handshake were a welcome consolation. My face beamed with a fixed smile until my cheeks began to hurt.

Just when l thought we were done, mama steered me to another direction and we walked towards her friend, Mrs Mokoena, who was standing facing the classiest, most luxurious white Mercedes benz l had ever seen...

"Gladys" mama said tapping the shoulder of the woman in front of us, Mrs Mokoena who must have been searching her hand bag for something, turned around and when she saw us her face beamed.

"Hie Mariah!" She smiled and then she looked at me "oh and this is Ntando!"

I extended my hand for a handshake but she quickly drew me in a hug "oh I'm so happy to see you my child" she said.

Okay... someone is a bundle of sunshine, l thought to myself and gave her my toothiest grin when she let go.

"Congratulations on your graduation my child" she said.

"Thank you ma" l responded trying but failing to match her excitement.

"You should meet my son" she said, she turned and peeped through the window of the amazing Mercedes benz, Mrs Mokoena shifted a bit from her position and l got to see the luxe car interior... oh my God! Heaven! This was the sort of car you see on television and magazines but never actually imagine seeing it physically, let alone, parked on your humble church grounds on an ordinary day...

"Thuso come and greet Mrs Dlamini and her daughter"

I noticed a chubby male figure grunt and and raise his posture from the reclined seat, he stepped out of the car and came around to greet us.

"Thuso has grown up into a fine young man" mama smiled. They continued exchanging pleasantries.

I looked at Thuso Mokoena and wondered who mama was kidding... the only thing that looked fine about him were his clothes, he had a good fashion sense, but even that wasn't able to hide his chubbiness, pot belly and wobbling cheeks. As for young? This man standing about 20cm taller than me in heels, did not look like a young man..
He looked way older than my brother Ishmael.. and that was to say a lot considering Ishmael at that time was 34 years old. He did have great skin though, pity he kept a beard that covered a third of his face, the black thick beard contrasting his caramel skin made me think of him as a fuzzy teddy bear, l gave a small smile at that thought.

"Thuso please stand next to Ntando l would love to see how you look together" l heard Mrs Mokoena say.

Huh?

I stopped my thoughts and tried to get what they were talking about.

Thuso did as he was told and shifted uncomfortably next to me.

"Oh they look so sweet together!" Both mothers cried.

I gave them a confused glare, what is going on?

Mrs Mokoena smiled at me and said, "you know since you have graduated and are such a principled girl, you need to get married soon before some random boy uses you and degrades your value"

I widened my eyes, what on earth was she talking about?

Mama nodded in agreement with her, "Thuso is a medical doctor now based in South Africa, he also studied at the university of Zimbabwe but he was several years ahead of you"

"And he's not just any random medical doctor" Mrs Mokoena added, "he is a specialist heart surgeon"

"Nice!" Mama smiled, "that's amazing young man, Ntando also recently graduated as a Sociologist"

"Err.. congratulations" Thuso said to me with a small smile on his face.

"Thanks" l mumbled.

"Maybe you kids should get to know each other you know, share uni stories and all" Mrs Mokoena suggested. Mama nodded eagerly.

Thuso fished out an iPhone from his pocket, "may l err.. have your number?"

I looked at mama and she glared back at me to give him. I let out a lil sigh, took his phone and saved my contact.

The mothers gave satisfied looks, they chatted a little more, made plans to meet for lunch the next weekend and then we parted.

When we were off earshot l turned to mama and asked, "what was that all about? Since when are you and Mrs Mokoena besties?"

Mama gave a small laugh and said "oh you! Let's get in the car, your dad must be tired of waiting for us by now"

I didn't get a chance to continue the conversation with mama again.