Chapter Thirty-One

Storm clouds were forming over the island, being pushed by a harsh, warm wind. On the horizon over the ocean, the clouds were dark and slowly spiraling up. A hurricane looked inevitable at this point.

Akira had to take a minute to watch the black clouds roll in, standing at the edge of the rocks that reached out to the ocean. He stared with an uncaring look, not even flinching when the tide grew violent, splashing up against the rocks and getting his legs wet.

"Master..."

   Akira paid no mind to the Persona behind him. He kept his eyes glued to the horizon.

   "Master," Arsene said once more, "whatever it is you're feeling needs to stop... this island can't take another storm like this..."

   Akira turned his gaze up towards the clouds, a small smile curling up on his lips.

   "I've been thinking lately. Can you imagine Ryuji getting electrocuted? I can see it. He's at a bathhouse, all alone, someone tosses like a—a hairdryer or something in his bath. Boom, he's dead,"

   "Master, please listen to me..."

   "Poor Morgana, he'll definitely end up roadkill, or even maimed by wild animals. And Ann! Yeah, no denying she'd burn alive. I bet... she's fast asleep in bed, not even realizing a candle or a lighter fell over. Her whole room is ablaze in seconds."

   "Master—"

   "Yusuke does just about anything to get his art right! Somehow he'd get himself locked in a freezer! Can you imagine that? He'd look so fucking beautiful with frost on his skin and hair, and his lips and fingers turning all blue..."

   "AKIRA!"

   Arsene grew impatient, calling his Master by his first name by mistake. The boy finally looked back at him, a glare in his eyes.

   "You're not being careful... you're going to bring yourself to your own doom if you keep like this. You and the other Prince will suffer," Arsene warned.

   "What do you mean? I see it all now!" Akira grinned widely. "Goro and I are meant to spend an eternity together, that's why I was brought here! When the time comes, me and him will always be by each other's side..."

   "No, Master, that's not what I'm telling you. You're violent, you're doing all of this for your own selfish wishes..."

  Akira tightened his folded arms. The first drops of rain began to beat down on them.

   "I'm taking care of the people I love... I have to be ready for their deaths... that way they can go with me to our paradise where they'll be safe and happy...!"

   "Your paradise is a facade! They'll find out and it won't be easy for you to keep it from falling apart! You are a child, you can't use your power to manipulate things like—!"

   "I'M PROTECTING THEM!"

   A loud crack of lightning hit the ocean, thunder boomed up above. As the rain grew harder and the tide grew stronger, Akira panted heavily with tears running from his eyes and his body shaking.

   "I'm... protecting them..." he said again.

Akira turned away as he began to sob. The thunder dulled down to a quiet rumble while the rain kept at a steady, rough pace. A red umbrella floated upside down on the restless waves and up to the rocks. Akira grabbed the handle and pulled it from the water.

"Arsene, I wanna wake up now..." he said, carefully closing the umbrella.

"Master, please... you're poisoning us, we can't continue like this..." the Persona was pleading.