Chapter Twenty-Six

"The man's name is Takuto Maruki. He's been Usagi's assistant for years, mostly working with her younger patients to help them prepare for surgery. I asked Akechi if he can talk to the guy and he agreed and maybe we can—"

"Wait, back up!"

Ryuji cut Makoto off, not caring about the look her and Ann gave him.

"You're saying Akira could be mentally insane, and you found this out from his ex-girlfriend?"

"Yes, I'm gonna see if Akechi can get us in contact with her so we can talk—"

"It sounds sketchy!" Futaba spoke from a video call on Makoto's laptop, Morgana sitting in her lap. "How does his ex-girlfriend end up being the work partner of his boyfriend?!"

"I didn't catch all that but I agree," Yusuke was on speaker from Ann's phone, "I doubt it's a coincidence. Perhaps she followed Akira out here and has been watching from a distance."

"Yeah, yeah! Maybe she's just lying to make us all not like Akira or something!" Ryuji said.

"Did either of them mention why they broke up?" Haru asked.

"No, it never came up," Makoto shook her head.

Ann shut her eyes and let out a breath. She had a thought and, no matter how much she dreaded it, it had to be brought to attention.

"It doesn't matter if the girl was lying or not. With Akira's suicide attempt and with what Mona heard from the doctors, there's definitely something wrong with him mentally and we shouldn't ignore it because we aren't willing to see him like that,"

A bit of silence fell over the group. She was right.

"Once we find Takuto Maruki we'll hopefully learn more about Akira, his brother, and Usagi. For now let's not let Akira know, in case he... turns on us..." Morgana said.

"Ah geez, don't say it like that..." Ryuji grumbled.

Makoto felt her phone buzz and quickly checked it.

   "It's Akechi," she stood up, "he said him and his partner are going to visit Takuto Maruki and Usagi later tonight, and Akira will go with them to unlock that door that's been stopping us."

   "Remind him that Usagi's gotta see the door unlocked for the cognition to change," Morgana said.

   A bit of noise came from Ann's phone and Yusuke quietly swore.

   "Damn it... I've got to go, farewell!"

   Yusuke hung up the call.

   "I gotta go too, I smell Sojiro cooking something! Bye!"

   "WAIT—"

   Futaba clicked out the video call before Morgana could say anything else. Ryuji pushed himself away from the wall he was leaning on. Haru stood from the couch.

"I guess we've got a plan then?" Haru said.

   "I suppose. I just hope Akira doesn't freak out or something..." says Makoto. "Anyway, lunch period ends soon, let's get back to class. We'll enter the Metaverse whenever Akechi visits Usagi,"

   "Oh by the way," Ryuji grinned awkwardly, "not sure if girls remembered, but it's Valentine's Day. So did any of you wanna—"

   Simultaneously, the girls waded up papers and threw them at him before he could finish.

————

"Ehhhh... ehhhh..."