Chapter Thirteen

"He invited you to a party?"

   "Mhmm,"

   "And it's a date?"

   "Yeah,"

   Futaba and Morgana stared at Akira with the same squinted eyes as he drank his coffee.

   "What?!"

   "Doesn't it sound a little weird? I think he's doing it out of pity," Futaba said.

   "I think it's a trap! What if Akechi pulls another trick? Akira, we don't want you to get hurt again!" Morgana yowled.

   "Geez, you're all so loud over here..."

   Sojiro came over and set two plates of curry in front of Futaba and Akira, then a small bowl of cat food. Futaba gave a little whine and stuck her tongue out.

   "I'm not in a curry mood! Sojiro, can I have some money for donuts?"

   "As if we can trust you with sugar in the morning!" Akira sneered.

   "Nyaah!"

   "Nyaaah!"

   "Alright, enough you two," Sojiro handed a few dollars to Futaba, "don't get too many, it'll spoil your appetite."

"I'm buying the whole store!!" Futaba swiped the money, and Morgana, before hurrying out Leblanc. The cat gave disapproving yowls.

Sojiro smirked and went back to brewing coffee.

"You two sound just like siblings," he said.

"Yeah, I guess," Akira went to eating his breakfast. Just then, Sojiro reached over to lift some of Akira's hair out his face, exposing the stitches on his forehead.

"Damn... if you were so unhappy about something you should've just told me..." Sojiro spoke sternly, but Akira could hear the care in his voice, "don't go doing stuff like that again, you hear me? I mean it, boy."

Akira nodded.

"I'm fine now, Sojiro..."

   The older man turned to the other counter but kept talking.

    "So when's your birthday coming up?"

   "Uh, 3rd of next month, why?"

   "You're turning eighteen, right?"

   "Seventeen."

   "Mmm..."

   Sojiro didn't say anything else. Akira didn't bug and continued eating. Then his phone buzzed with a text from, none other than, Goro:

'You in school today?'

Akira's cheeks turned a little red. A smile pinched his lips as he responded.

'No, they gave me a couple days off for recovery'
'What are you up to? :)'

'Back at work, they put me on some case investigating a couple burglaries'

'Like the one where I stole your heart~? ;)'

Akira laughed at his own joke, then laughed even more at Goro's response.

   'I will come over there and slap you in the face!'

   'Awww is that an excuse to see me~?'

   'Oh hush. We'll save it for tonight. I'll see you then.'

   Unexpectedly, Goro sent a photo of himself, dressed in that tan coat he always wore for work and smiling brightly. Akira didn't recall seeing smiles like that from him. It made him smile too.