Chapter Forty

Carmen began her early morning workout by doing a light jog on the treadmill inside the hotel's gym. She decided an early morning workout would be the best thing to clear her mind for the day. She found herself lounging around in her hotel room most days or by the poolside thinking about what Reid was doing in his spare time. She didn't want to hassle him about whatever he was doing because deep down she knew it was in her best intentions not to think about the cases he was working on.

"Going for a run this early in the morning?" She heard a male voice say.

She looked up to see Evan Walker standing next to her treadmill. She had met Evan at the dinner hosted by AAPH the other night. They had clicked instantly after dinner when they discussed her thesis about neuroscience being the driving force behind physical recovery. They had both landed the opportunity to work at the new Get Phit location in D.C. along with Jessica Foster and Mark Wilson. She remembered the conversation all four of them had and how it just felt very natural to talk to them. She finally saw herself fit in somewhere outside of her longtime established girl group.

She looked at the level she was on and it seemed as if she had unknowingly increased the speed as she was thinking about the cases Reid was working on. She quickly turned back down the speed and collected her breathing before smiling at Evan.

"I meant for it to be a light jog," she said with an embarrassed giggle.

He smiled. "I must have been jogging incorrectly for my whole life then."

She rolled her eyes still laughing. "Other than ridiculing my work out, what brings you to the gym so early? I thought you said you liked working out before bed better?"

He looked at her surprised. "Wow, you remember me telling you that?"

She shrugged. "I mean we are about to be coworkers, so I had no choice but to listen to your ever so interesting daily routine."

He chuckled as he gave her a surprising look of approval. "At least that means you're a good listener. I think this a start to a beautiful partnership."

She laughed. "As long as I get to talk your ear off as well. I think my boyfriend's tired of hearing me talk nowadays." 

He gave her a smile and thumbs up. "It goes both ways. Also, I doubt he's tired of hearing you talk. What I remember from the other night was he is very talkative himself."

She nodded her head as she stopped the treadmill

She nodded her head as she stopped the treadmill. The other night Reid had decided to try and spark up a conversation with other dinner attendees. Morgan had begged him not to overdo it in his Reid fashion of spurting out statistics and geographical information. To Morgan's disappointment, he found himself witnessing Reid talk to a group of physical therapists about the statistical proof showing patients opting to have surgery to improve physical problems rather than go to physical therapy. She had to pull him out of the situation immediately before their glares killed him.