Chapter 21- Natalie

"Ellington, please. Please don't do this. I cannot lose you." I sobbed.
"Natalie, I have to do this. We can't live like this forever." He replied sternly.

I knew that he was serious. I knew that I couldn't change his mind. He is never stern. He's always so gentle. And that's how I knew that he was serious. But my heart wasn't ready to accept it. I need him more than the air I breathe, and if he goes after Isaac, I will lose him. My only source of joy. I will lose him.
As he stormed out of the hotel I wept into the sheets. I was going to lose him.
-
Sirens. The sound muffled in my ear as I sobbed into my hands.
Ellington. Babe. Talk to me. Please, baby.
They took him away in the ambulance. Lauren took my arm and led me to her car. I'm so glad I followed him, but I'm also mad that I didn't stop him.
-
"Mrs. Ratliff?" The doctor called out.
"Yes?" I replied.
"Your husband is okay. Luckily, no surgery had to be done, but he is very bruised up. It is up to you, but I don't recommend visiting him. It might be devastating for you."
"Take me to him. Now."

We walked down the long hallway to Ellington's room. His face was a mixture of black and purple blotches. His nose was broken, and his eyes were swollen. It didn't bother me though. I loved him. He was barely able to open his eyes to look at me, but he tried his hardest.

"Hey, babe." He whispered.
"I love you." I said as tears streamed down my face
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay." I giggled as I wiped tears from my face.

I climbed in the small hospital bed with him and held his hand. He smiled softly and nestled his head beside my arm. I ran my fingers through his hair, wanting to savor every moment. I almost lost him forever, I wasn't going to slack anymore.

"I might've told the doctors that I was your wife..." I confessed.
"Natalie Ratliff... That's beautiful." He smiled.
I blushed and kissed him on the forehead.
"So, um. What would you think about that?" I asked.
"Think about what?"
"Us getting married." I whispered.
He hesitated for a moment, sending me into into heart attack after another. After about 5 seconds he placed his hand gently on my face and locked his eyes to mine.

"I'd love it."