Chapter 3- Natalie

School continued to be annoying, but I was passing with three colleges offering me a full ride to their school. I should be happy, I'm going to college for free, but deep down I know that it's not for me. I'll only do it to make my mom happy, but I don't know what will happen after it's over.

On the bright side, I started warming up to Issac. He wasn't that bad, and he was actually funny. Turns out, he lives right down the road, so we starting car pulling to school. My dad was still getting used to him. I've had to explain 15 times that he wasn't my boyfriend, just a really great friend. Most afternoons, Issac sat on my bed and did homework with me... Well, I did my homework and he asked me a billion questions for each problem, but hey, his grades were going up, and I was proud.

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?" He asked one day.

"That's a weird question..." I said slowly, stalling for time to clear my head.

"Not really... Fine. I'll go first. I had a girlfriend in the first grade. Her name was Kelly, and I used to call her Kel. We had romantic dates at recess and shared animal crackers. She was hot, too!"

"Where is she now?" I giggled.

"She moved in the second grade. Worst year of my life." He winked.

I laughed and looked down at my essay.

"Um, yeah, I've had a boyfriend. But I don't think it really counts. We never told anyone and it didn't end on good terms anyway."

"How long did it last?" He asked softly.

"A year and a half." I whispered.

"Where is he now?"

"He moved to a prestigious smart kid school at the end of my sophomore year. Best day of my life." I smirked.

"Really? Well that's awesome! What happened between you two?"

"Does it really matter? I mean it's over and I'm embarrassed that I even let myself into that situation. I was a stupid young girl and I've grown up." I snapped.

"Oh, um sorry. I was just curious."

"I'm so sorry. I just hate thinking about how stupid I was." I sighed.

"I understand. Is that why you push yourself so hard now?"

"Yeah, kinda." I admitted.

"Well, I challenge you to a grade duel! I bet I can get a higher grade than you on this essay!" He smirked.

"NEVER! I always get higher grades! HA!" I winked.

We spent the rest of our afternoon in silence, writing as fast as we could.

The next morning, I finally convinced my mother to let me wear what I wanted to wear. I wasn't against dresses and skirts, they just had to look like me, not a preppy southern belle. I wore a red shirt with a black skater skirt, a leather vest, and my black high top converse. I bounced up to Issac's car 30 minutes later.

"Damn, Nat! You're working it today! You even curled your hair!" He exclaimed.

I laughed at his excitement.

"Yeah, well I decided it was time to show you who I am!" I winked.

"Hmmm... I like who you are." He smiled.

I blushed and pushed him.

"Hey, pushing is not nice!" He shouted.

I laughed and walked to the other side of the car and got in.

I liked Issac, he was a sweet guy, and I really wanted him to ask me out, but then again I felt weird about it, like my future was supposed to be spent with someone else. But who?