❧20

Unlike Themselves

"You alright, son?" The question was quick, touched with a hint of concern as Mr.Tuan rushed out of the kitchen door and towards the back patio scattered with customers.

Taehyung, who'd been slumped over the register in a slow block of time, jerked upright. He smiled at the man passing by with a black tray of food and nodded reassuringly. "Tired. Jimin and I went for a movie last night."

The elder raised a confused brow but left towards the back to tend to the guests under any possible shade protecting them from blazing summer heat.

Taehyung tapped the side of the cashier and scraped a nail along the wood grains. Mr.Tuan returned fairly quickly, pausing by to pat his shoulder.

"You wouldn't be tired from that, Taehyung." He stated truthfully and the surfer inwardly grimaced at the fact. "Take it easy if you're not well."

"I'm okay, sir." He smiled at the diner owner, attention shifting to the kitchen door that swung open and a younger man appeared— a nearly spitting image of his father. "Hey, Hyung."

"Mark?" His father turned at the entrance, the dancer nodding with a smile as he held a crate of fruits. "On the counter out here, kid."

"M'kay." Mark replied, sliding past Taehyung and dropping the crate on the bar counter. "This looks like the best box we've gotten, Dad."

"Really? Great! You and Taehyung go through the fruits, I'll be in the kitchen." Mr.Tuan waved before disappeared into the back. Taehyung waved at Mark again as the man nudged his side.

"What's up with you?"

"Tired, Hyung."

"Yeah? What'd you do?"

"Jimin and I went to a movies last night." Mark handed him a few avocados and Taehyung felt around the skin, checking the coloration for ripeness.

"Oh, right! We talked about that. Was it fun?" The older's voice dipped as he bent down to retrieve a bowl to place the bad fruits in. "Mean Girls, wasn't it?"

"Mhm. Loved it like always," Taehyung froze, gasping in disbelief towards himself. "Oh my god, Hyung, how was your date?"

"That? It was great, Tae." Mark smiled shyly. "Jackson had fun things planned."

"Where'd he take you?" Taehyung smiled at the positive news.

"We had a picnic in the city park and drove around. Stopped by a store and goofed around." Mark hummed, dropping a squished blueberry in the 'bad bowl.' They'd end up snacking on it or throwing it into a smoothie so nothing was wasted.

"Sounds casual and nice," Taehyung chuckled, stepping off his stool and placing the avocados at the edge of the counter to go inside the kitchen. "S'that everything you did?"

The older flushed a little as he said, "We went back to his place and I stayed the night." Taehyung's brow raised and Mark slapped his arm. "Not like that! Not— just kissed a little, okay?"

"I don't care." Taehyung grinned, shouldering the man's side teasingly. He honestly didn't. It was partly envy the artist had for Mark and his relationship— wishing he had something simple like that.

Something less complicated than whatever mess he currently had, at least.

"You don't care?" Mark laughed, shoulders relaxing. "That's a first. You used to always run away if someone brought it up."

Taehyung rolled his eyes. "You guys are literally dating. And I've grown up."

"Hm, not wrong." Mark patted his back before placing the bad fruits to the side and then sorting the good ones in their designated spots in the bar counter's storage cabinets and mini fridge. "You haven't visited the studio yet, Tae. You should someday— we can hangout downtown."