Chapter 18

Sophie hesitantly stepped onto the ice. The second she shifted some of her body weight onto her foot, she fell. She braced herself, waiting to feel the pain of ice hitting her back, but it never came. Bewildered, Sophie turned her head to see Keefe's smirking face.

"You really are bad at ice skating." He said. "Even May is doing a better job!" He pointed to their daughter slowly inching her way across the ice, supported by Amy.

"Be quiet!" Sophie said, using his arm to pull herself up again.

Of course, Keefe turned out to be a wonderful ice skater. He effortlessly slid across the lake, while she clung onto his arm for dear life. However, she didn't fall once. Everytime she lost her balance and started to slip, he would catch her and pull her up again.

"What about meeee?" Caily protested, trying to squirm out of Amy's arm to get on the ice.

"Caily, you can't walk yet, much less skate!" Amy giggled. "Here's some consolation" Amy pulled a small stuffed animal out of her pocket. It was a little stuffed dog, white with pink spots. Caily's eyes lit up and she grabbed the dog.

"Pokey!" She proclaimed. May had already taken after her parents, not being able to sleep without Leela the unicorn. Sophie wondered if Caily would also follow in her footsteps.

"That's a good name!" Amy said, smiling. Caily yawned, prompting one from May as well. "Are you girls getting tired?"

"No!" May portested.

"I think we'd better get them home for rest time." Sophie said, using Keefe's arm to skate over to Amy. She took Caily from her arm and Keefe held May's hand. They slid off the ice and ducked behing a tree. Sophie pulled out her home crystal and they let the light carry them away.

"Time to get you in bed," Keefe said to a half asleep Caily.

"Not me!" May said happily.

"You too," Sophie said, trying to scoop May up before she could run away. She was too late. May had run loose, and there was no catching her now. Every time they tried to put May to bed, she would run wild. Every. Single. Time. It was like a war.

"Bye mommy!!!" May called as she ran up the spiral staircase leading to the dining room. Sophie got there just in time to see May duck into a cabinet on the side of the room. Keefe ran in after her, having just put Caily in bed. Sophie pointed to the cupboard.

"You can run, but you can't hide!" Keefe cried as he yanked the door open.

May was ready for him. She ducked under his arm and up yet another staircase. After this had happened a few times, Keefe and Sophie were both panting.

"Why did we build a house with so many stairs?" Sophie wondered.

"And why did we not think to TELEPORT?" Keefe wondered with a pointed look at his wife.

"Keefe." Sophie said, waiting for him to realize. He stared back at her with a confused look. "I can't teleport through walls!" she finally said.

"Oh." Keefe blushed.

"So now what do we do?" Sophie wondered.

"How about this?" Keefe said, smirking. Without warning he lifted her up with telekinesis and sent her up the stairs.

"KEEFE FOSTER, PUT ME DOWN NOW OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!" Sophie screeched from the top of the stairs. He only smirked.

"How bad will said consequences be?" Sophie glared. "Okay, fine!" He said after a few colorful threats. "You ruin all my fun!"

"Let's go find May." She said. Sophie reached out her consciousness, searching for the familiar feel of her daughter's thoughts. She was giddy, hiding in what Sophie could only guess was a hamper. "Perfect!" she said.

"What? Don't go showing off with your fancy telepath tricks again!"

"My fancy telepath tricks just found our daughter!" Sophie said, rolling her eyes. "She;s in her hamper."

"Then let's go!" Keefe took off into the hallway leading to May's tower.

"Wait up!" Sophie called, but he didn't listen. Instead, she channeled energy into her legs and caught up to him in a matter of seconds.

"Shh!" he whispered. He crept over to the hamper. May giggled, unaware of his presence. He then thrust his arms into the hamper and picked her up.

"EEEEE!" May squealed. He tossed her into bed. After a lot of bribing, threatening, and trapping May in her blankets, she finally fell asleep.

When they had first gotten married, Sophie and Keefe would stay up until early morning talking, laughing, and eating mallowmelt. Since they had kids, all they wanted to do was sleep. However, Caily made that impossible. She was only a few months old, but could scream louder than the gorgodon. When they had a sparse moment of silence, they would literally run to their bedroom. Sophie still fell asleep with her hand in Keefe's as he sent her blue breezes. She hadn't needed Silveny to take away the nightmares in years.

I realized I never used my name on here, so...

Bye!

- Ginger