Chapter Twenty - [Aaryan]

Hey everyone!

There will be THREE posts today!! (YAY!!!) So don't fret when you see that the first two chapters are a little short :)

Enjoy!! <3

-Luckycharms

---

I was sitting in my old room, which had now become an office of sorts since I had moved out. Though technically I had plenty of work to do, I spent most of my time there waiting today, rather impatiently, for any updates at all. I found myself to be quite fidgety, which was certainly unusual for me, but I suppose you could not blame me.

If our informants were accurate, all hell was about to break loose today.

Finally, General Sivakasi, the man who stood up to defend Seetha that day in the throne room, walked into the room. "My Prince," he bowed.

The sight of him gave me a little bit of relief as the tension in me released. I hadn't even noticed until this moment, that I was grinding my teeth together, clenching my jaw... and my jaw ached a little as I let out a sigh. How long had I been holding that position? For a few hours? Or maybe since I had first heard the news. "What news do you have?"

"The informants were correct."

My shoulders lowered, just slightly... but it seemed like that was enough for the General to notice my displeasure with the news. Once again, my jaw clenched. I think he noticed that too.

Nevertheless, he did his job and continued. "Guards will be making their way to you soon to inform you that there is a very important meeting you must attend. It will be with your father and the nobles to discuss the issue at hand."

I let out a breath. I placed my elbows on the desk and knotted my fingers before resting my forehead against them. With my eyes closed, I tried to picture how all of this was going to play out. I had not gotten much sleep in the last few days... my head was aching, my eyes were burning and since my anger and displeasure stopped me from eating, my empty stomach made me feel hallow and sick.

This was not a good way to be before walking into the den of a lion... especially if you intended on fighting that lion.

I wondered if my father knew my plans... if he knew anything about me then he should have, but my men had already scouted the area... there was no defense. The elite force had not been contacted, not that it would have mattered as they were with me. But that was strange.

Even the nobles failed to bring a significant amount of guards with them.

It was like they expected me to hand over my title, just like that.

How foolish could they be?

But even if they had no idea, my father... he should expect something.

I worked my entire life for this. I worked day and night and day and night and day and night to prove my capabilities of being the future Maharajh. And if that was not enough, these nobles, who cared so much about tradition, seemed to have forgotten that I was the true heir to the Maharajah they serve.

There was nothing older than that tradition. The first kings of Chandraba lived that way too... thrones being passed down to their first born sons.

How could the expect me to not fight that?

Whatever the case, this foolishness was going to cost them.

"The warriors continue to stay loyal to you," General Sivakasi continued. "You have no reason to be worried."

"That's not exactly what I'm worried about," I frowned. I trusted the loyalty of my men. Among the elite force, when word passed that the court was planning on replacing me with Aarun, there was horror. My elite forces were the best of the best. The most noble of all the most noble. I trusted that they would know to follow what is right.

And they chose to follow me.

"My wife and my children..."

"I can check again for you... but last I was updated, their carriage departed towards Lord Lakshmanan's home," he said. "Are you concerned for their safety?"

Not necessarily.

Seetha... was not going to be happy.

I sighed. "I want you to go to them," I started. "When this is all over, I will be assigning you as the head of their personal guard. At least until Aathavan is old enough. Once he is old enough, you will be the head of his guard. So I am putting my trust in you to protect my family."

General Sivakasi bowed low, getting down onto a knee. "Thank you, my Prince. It would be my honor."

Just as I was about to tell him to stand, there was a knock at my door.

General Sivakasi stood, and when I nodded at him, he went to answer my door.

It was another warrior.

He walked in and looked at me after bowing. "The Maharajah requests for your presence in the throne room. He said it is a highly secret meeting and requests that only you are present."

I stood.

When I looked at General Sivaskasi, he nodded. "I will inform the others, and then go straight to your family."

I nodded. "Thank you, friend."

My words surprised the man, and when I put a hand on his shoulder before patting it, the man smiled and bowed his head before rushing out.

I touched the hilt of my sword, a short wave of calmness filling me as I did.

It was time.

---

Once again, this chapter is intentionally short (as will be the next one), but this is post 1 of 3 for today!

See you soon!

-Luckycharms <3