Chapter Five - [Seetha]

Maadu, my completely brown cow, was getting restless. Usually when she was restless, I would take her on a walk to the river to stretch. The walks were slow and relaxing because she was a good cow, and I never had anything to worry about when I walked her. She would follow the path, take a drink and then return home with me without a fuss.

Today however, had proven to be a challenge.

Not because of Maadu, of course, but because of someone else who was waiting at the river.

Kairav stood at the river, shirtless and washing himself up with some other young men. I was going to turn around but Maadu mooed loudly, making all the men turn to face me. So I sighed, gave her a smack with the back of my hand, and lead her down to the river.

Kairav walked over to me, shoulders back and chest out.

He was a handsome man, but not the kind of handsome that I liked. He had short black hair, dark eyes and a very strong figure. He often boasted about his muscles and good looks, and for some reason, that made him even less attractive. It didn't help that he often oiled his body after bathing in an attempt to make him appear more attractive.

I was quite certain that he wasn't actually interested in me. The only reason he tried so hard was because he was a mother's boy. He always listened to his mother, who was good friends with my mother and thought me to be as silent and submissive as my sisters.

I couldn't stand his mother either.

The thought of her as my mother-in-law made me shudder.

"My mother told me you said no again," he said when he approached me.

"That, I did," I said, smiling at him with tightly closed lips as Maadu got down onto her belly and enjoyed to cool air near the river. I held back a sigh, it looked like she wanted to be here for a while.

"You do realize that there is a lineup of women who want me to marry me."

"Then maybe one of those women are better for you, Kairav."

He hesitated. "I'd prefer a woman who is playing hard to get-"

"I'm not playing hard to getv," I said. "I am simply not interested."

"That's impossible."

I sighed, trying to think of a way to get out of this. "Kairav, there is another man," I said.

His eyes widened. "What?"

I nodded. "He gave me this, actually," I said, shaking my hand and revealing the bangle.

He scoffed. He opened his mouth to say something else but stopped himself. Then I noticed he was looking past me. "Well, I'll see you at my wedding to Bairavi then."

I hesitated, watching him walk off. Well... that was easy. Then, after shaking my head, I turned around, only to gasp at the presence of a tall man behind me.

I looked up, holding my breath.

It was Aaryan. He was wearing fresh, clean silks and had his sword on him again. Like before, he smelled of flowers and looked clean and handsome, making my heart stop for just a moment.

"Using my advances to your benefit," he said, "I don't know how I feel about that."

My cheeks were ablaze. "I... um..."

He smirked. "And is this what you do when you are not telling stories?" he continued. "Come to the river and watch men bathe?"

"No!" I said, my voice going up many pitches. "No, of course not... my cow needed to walk."