42.1|| Loose Ends

Start from the beginning

"I didn't--"

He growled, so over this excuse. "I don't give a fuck anymore, Herrison. I know it's not you personally, but since the Agency won't face us themselves, it falls on you. Fucking own up to it for once!"

Herrison cringed at his words, probably shocked by his language, but Sam meant it. He was one idiot mistake away from full-on mutiny because he was beyond fed up with this.

"Guys." Skye came out of the bedroom and into the small living room of their suite, wearing a fluffy white robe. "You have to see this."

Herrison's eyes widened as he took her in, but he fortunately didn't say anything because it was all the reason Sam needed to punch his teeth in.

She picked up the remote control and turned on the TV. She flipped through a few channels before catching the news. The headline made Sam's stomach flip over.

"Nicholas Harkin has been arrested together with two members of Congress and a representative of the Pentagon. It appears they had been working together for months to bring yet-untested weapon prototypes to the underground market..."

"What is this?" Herrison asked.

"They've arrested Von Croooken," Skye said, as if it wasn't obvious. She grinned at Sam, glowing with pride.

Sam smiled back, content that something had finally happened, that their hard work had not been in vain.

"Why?" Herrison asked, dispelling their temporary happiness. 

"Because he kept doing bad shit and it was time he paid," Sam said.

"We don't bring the police into our matters." Herrison sounded like a prerecorded message again.

"You don't do anything." Sam took out his gun and nudged the handle toward Herrison. "You take the guns Snitch Gravel wants and use them for yourselves. Did you think we wouldn't catch on? Realize we're working for nothing?"

"Watch your mouth, Sam."

"You watch it." Sam stood, his fists balled at his sides, still holding the gun. "We're not mercenaries, Herrison. We joined you because we thought you were the good guys."

"We are--"

"Your methods don't show that," Skye said, joining Sam, her arms crossed over her chest. "And it was time someone took a stand."

Herrison's eyes narrowed. "Doctor Brandon, I'm afraid to say you are dismissed. Your conduct in handling this case has been highly unprofessional."

Sam took half a step forward before she put her hand on his chest to stop him.

"Fair enough, I agree. But I'm not sorry. And if you don't play nice, you're not invited to our wedding."

"Your what?" Herrison looked from her to Sam, his eyes bulging.

"She's not exaggerating to shock you. We are getting married," Sam said with a shrug while Skye showed him the ring on her finger with a grin.

Herrison shook his head. "You've all gone mad."

"Actually, we're better than ever." He wrapped his arm around Skye's shoulders and pulled her against him. "And you'd better let the Agency know that."

Herrison took another look at the TV which was still on the Von Crooken news, then sighed. "I always do. There could be consequences for this." 

"That goes both ways, Herrison. If they even dream of taking any measures against any of us, we're out. I mean it. And trust me, we'll know."