6. Munchkin Manny

Last night I didn't sleep well and it was evident in my eyes. I dragged myself out of bed and brushed my teeth, for the sake of me promising Greg I'll bring him one of my favourite video games yesterday.

I tied my hair in a low messy bun. I changed into a baggy top that I stole from one of my guy friends in Idaho and a pair of bike shorts and sneakers.

I grabbed the latest Zelda game and walked past  Will's Room.

"I'm going to the Heffley's, you coming?" I asked.

"Aren't you mad at me?" He questioned.

What do you think twat?!?!? I thought to myself.

I shrugged my shoulders.
"Don't make me change my mind."
His face lit up and he ran around his room looking for clothes.

-

I walked inside and handed Greg the game.

"Awe cool!" He exclaimed while examining the chip.

Susan sat at the dining table, on the laptop looking stressed and tired.
"Hey Mrs Heffley,"
"Oh, hey Jackie." She replied realising my presence. Her actions were really slow and delayed, showing me she was tired. Manny walked over and started nagging her.
"Not right now hun, mommy's working."

He sooked and Susan couldn't help but feel guilty.

"you need me to look after manny for a bit? Get him out your hair for a hour or two?" I offered.

"Oh don't be silly." She laughed.

"Really, I think me and Will owe you for how much we're over and making noise."

She smiled.
"Awe really." She held her hand to her heart.

"Awee come here." She got up and gave me a hug.

"Come here Manny, lets play with your trucks." He trotted towards me and wrapped his hand around my thumb.

In the living room Manny's truck and dinosaurs laid around everywhere.
I picked up a truck.

"Sorry Greg." I whispered trying to get out of his way so he could play his game.
Rodrick laid sprawled out on the couch in a deep sleep.

I sat on his chest, with Manny sitting in my lap waiting for him to wake from the weight, no sign of life here captain.

I got off then grabbed Manny's slobbery pacifier and stuck it in his mouth, again no movement. I sighed and gave up. Leaving with Manny to his room.

"Bubby!" He kept repeating as he pointed to a picture that hung on his wall of the Heffley's.

"Which one?" I asked holding him close enough to the picture to point out who 'bubby' was.

His dirty fingers circled around Greg's face and I chuckled to myself, how cute.

"What do you want to do Manny?" I asked, knowing I wasn't going to get a reply I would understand.

He stumbled over too his window and looked out at the grass.

"What about me and you have a picnic?"

He looked up at me curiously trying to understand what I was saying.

I scavenged through his room for the basket he keeps his Mini Figurines in.

Once I found the straw basket I dumped the figurines into one of those storage tubs.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked.

He looked around. I opened the fridge and grabbed out animal crackers, juice box, cheese stick and made him a ham sandwich.

I picked him up and walked outside. While walking to the green grass I found a discarded picnic blanket laying there.

I grabbed it and laid in out and sat down with Manny.

"Here you go." I cooed as I handed him the sandwich.

He ate the first quarter within 20 seconds and I was bewildered at how fast he could eat, for his age.

"More?" He asked and I gave him the animal crackers. He smiled at the different shapes, then continued to bite there heads off with a evil cackle.

He couldn't stop munching and whenever I gave him anything it would be consumed and devoured within 2 seconds.

He got up and started walking around the backyard. I found a big foam ball and passed it towards Manny. It bounced off his stomach and he laughed, which was so adorable to hear.

It would've been a hour or so before we headed back inside. I tipped all the little crumbs into the sink. I walked back into the living room to sit down with Manny sitting on my lap, cuddling me. He kept wriggling around, then occasionally would start blabbering some incoherent words.

Rodrick woke and was surprised to see me.

"Oh, uh- hey." He said confused.

"Afternoon." I replied earning a smile from him.

Surprisingly Manny stop wriggling around as much and I knew that he was probably ready for his nap.

I carried his tired self to his room and laid him in bed.

Rodrick stood behind me.
"How did you?"
"Tire him out I guess, give him heaps of attention." I chuckled looking down.

"Well thanks for that, now he doesn't have to bother me for the next 2 hours." Rodrick smiled.

"Like you bother with him anyways."

Rodrick chuckled and nodded his head.
"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I'm going- "
"Are you,"

Me and Rodrick talked over each other.

"Oh, sorry you go first." I told him, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Are you alright, yesterday you left quite annoyed."
I sighed.
"Yeah, everything's alright, just in a shitty mood yesterday. Sorry."

"No, no that's fine."

"What were you going to say?"

"Oh, nothing it's irrelevant now."

"Oh okay."

He gave me a awkward hug.

"Thanks," I laughed "I needed that."

We both looked at each other and couldn't stop uncontrollably smiling at each other.