"Good afternoon." I greeted back. "What's that you're reading?"

As I walked closer to her, she closed the book and stood with a smile.

"Just some light reading. Are you hungry? I believe Agnes whipped up some lunch a few minutes ago." She changed the subject.

"Oh, okay. I am a little hungry." I nodded at her.

Seraph and I ate lunch in the conservatory. It was a dome shaped room with glass covering every inch of the walls; letting in all the sun. The room was washed in white, like much of the house, though many plants and flowers surrounded the room.

"This is my favorite spot of the entire house." Seraph said as we sat. "It's like a palace in here. I remember when I was a little girl, me and my friends would have tea parties in here."

She and I giggled.

"It's very beautiful in here." I sighed.

Seraph told me the stories of our ancestors. How we descended from great priest and priestesses. The most prominent Marie Leveau, of course.

"It's strange when you look at relatives from the pasts. You can see your ancestors in the faces of your current loved ones. We have a portrait of Marie Leveau in the great room and I swear mama looks just like her." Seraph said as we walked the boardwalk path on the bayou behind the house.

"She could be her reincarnated. Or does reincarnation not happen like that in our family?" I chuckled.

"Oh no, energy is very transferable in our lineage. Though Marie was very powerful, her power courses through our entire family."

We talked for hours, though it felt like minutes. We talked my mother and her rebellious youth. How she left Leveau Plantation when I was a baby and never returned and how that time was difficult for our whole family. By sunset we started back to the house to get ready for dinner.

When I get back to my room, I found a long white dress draped at the foot of the bed. I held it up against me in the mirror in the corner and smiled. I quickly wash up and head down to the dining room.

"I knew that dress would suit you perfectly." Anjelica mused, draped across a chaise lounge, as I entered the parlor.

I looked down at myself again. The dress was silk and cowled in the front. The skirt fell to the floor in a sweeping train with the back exposed. It was a timeless style, though I could tell it was vintage.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." I said.

Anjelica stood elegantly, donning a leg-of-mutton sleeved gown in the same brilliant shade of white as my own dress. A giant white turban sat atop her head making her look even more regal than usual. She glides across the room to hug me before she leads us to the dining room where everyone is already seated. As I already predicted, everyone donned white ensembles. I spotted a seat between Delphine and Desire, which I took swiftly. Both of the girls shared welcoming grins my way, which I returned.

Dinner was a display of garlic prawns, truffled potatoes and asparagus. For dessert we were given a saucer of peach sherbet that was incredible. Throughout dinner Delphine and Desire made conversation with me. Delphine mostly talked, Desire mostly observed; chiming in to keep the banter going.

"You should come with us to get a real French Quarter welcome." Delphine gleamed as we all departed the dining room for the conservatory. 

"Oh, yes, you've never experienced New Orleans until you've spent a night out with us. We do have the most fun." Desire echoed her sister.

"Sounds like fun." I grinned.

"Or a disaster." Seraph muttered from across the room.

"Seraph, don't be a buzz kill." Delphine rolled her eyes.

"Not being a buzz kill. You two just always seem to stir up some mess when you go on your nights out." She sighed.

"That's not true." Desire said.

"Oh, please. It's always me or mama who have to save your ass' from exposing us." Seraph scoffed. "Need I remind you about two months ago?"

"That was an accident." Delphine retorted.

"Yes, a very big, very expensive accident." Anjelica sashayed into the conservatory and sat in a large, navy winged back arm chair.

Delphine and Desire shared knowing looks and dropped their heads.

"Maybe a night out would be nice for you. You've been bound to your powers, you won't have any issues with the shadows now. They can't touch you." Anjelica's gaze turned to me.

"Sure. A night out would be nice." I agreed.