Chapter 4: Dinner and a Surprise

I spent the rest of the day training, talking to Oliver and wandering through the streets of Arendelle and saying hello to the citizens. Many people knew me, as I had lots of free time to walk everywhere. I think even the ducks recognized me too. I threw some pieces of  bread I bought to them and they squabbled over it.

My armour was starting to get warm and I wanted to talk a walk in the mountains, but dinner would be soon and I liked to take my time up there. I frowned, I'm a pretty lousy personal guard. 

Sighing, I walked back to the castle and was met by the Queen walking over, and I bowed.

"Y/N, I'm sorry we have to cancel the walk in the garden. I forgot about the Duke of the Eastern Isles coming for dinner. We may have another trade partner," Elsa said.

"It's alright, your highness," I said, "We'll do it some other time." 

"Yes," Elsa said. It was clear that she was distracted and really wanted this trade for Arendelle. 

"I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll go polish my armour," I said, and Elsa nodded. 

"Okay, I'll see you then," Elsa waved. 

*******

I stood with perfect posture in an inconspicuous corner of the dinning room, across the room from Elsa's chair and right behind the Duke. The wall colour, shadows and armour camouflaged me so I was almost invisible. There were visible guards around the room, but for some reason they decided to put me in this corner. 

The Duke's personal guard was placed behind his chair. The King was supposed to come, but he was ill. The Duke was average height, with auburn hair and slender but with a good build. He was wearing a green and red uniform which I tried hard not to laugh at.

The only other people seated at the table was Princess Anna and her boyfriend, Kristoff. 

"So Queen Elsa," The Duke of the Eastern Isles said, "Rumours are that you have ice powers." 

"Yes, I do," Elsa says, waving her hand and a snowball appeared. The Duke nodded, not looking surprised. He tore a piece of meat off of the duck. I wonder if that's one of the ducks I feed bread to everyday. 

"So why would you need this trade deal if you have ice already," the Duke asked, though his tone wasn't really a question, "What do you need?" I tensed, not liking this Duke at all. He gave me a bad feeling, like he was up to something. His question seemed like he was trying to figure out Arendelle's weaknesses. Besides, who would trust anyone who dresses like a Christmas tree.

Elsa seemed to come to this conclusion as well, as she said, "Well it would be good if we had another ally. In case of disputes between other kingdoms, allies are always good. And vice versa." 

The Duke speared his his carrots, "I hear that Prince Hans was injured while staying here." Elsa and Anna glanced at each other.

The platinum blonde visibly tensed, but forced a smile, "Yes, he tried to kill Princess Anna and myself a year ago to become king. He was sent back to the Southern Isles to his brothers where he was stripped of his title. I believe he is in prison now." 

"Yes," the Duke drawled, "Didn't you lose control of your powers and freeze Arendelle?" I was going to step forward, but Elsa gave me a look. I stepped back and glared at the back of the Duke's head.

"Yes, but I am in control now," Elsa said, and Anna narrowed her eyes at the Duke. She was going to open her mouth to say something but Elsa glared at her. Light snow was falling from the ceiling.