Chapter Nineteen

Maddie POV:

Sitting at home on the couch watching TV and eating chips with my sister at night was surreal. The whole time it felt odd not being at dance. I had a hard time relaxing, wondering how they were re-blocking the group dances without me, or who had taken my slot for my private. I hadn’t talked to Gianna or Jennine or any of the other teachers since I’d left. What did they think about my break? Hopefully in time, whenever I did come back, they would all forget about it and get over it. I had every intention of going back. I didn’t know when, but I would be back.

Spending time with Mackenzie was nice. It was just like the old days. Usually by the time she got home from school, I was already at dance so we were barely together anymore. After growing up being pretty much inseparable, it had done quite a number on our relationship. We were still close and spent time with one another when we could, but things were never the same.

“So are you going to actually go back to dance?” She asked me later that night as we painted each other’s nails.

“Yeah. I am. I was just getting worn out. I will be back. The story isn’t over yet.” She shrugged.

“Are you sure? I’ve seen your interest in dance declining for years.”

“It’s just different. I can’t quit now. I need to graduate from Abby’s studio. I don’t know if I’ll go on to dance professionally…but I have to keep going.”

“You should keep going for you…not because of what Mom or Abby or anyone else says.”

“I know. I’m a perfectionist. I have to finish what I started.” She dug out a royal blue nail polish from our drawer containing hundreds of different colors. “You know what I really miss though…when we danced together.” She smiled solemnly.

“Me too…I just…I couldn’t take it anymore. You know?” I nodded.

“I know. We had too much too young. We had music videos, award shows, all these kind of opportunities…then once all that went away, the magic was sort of gone…”

“Our team fell apart…if it weren’t for that stupid show I bet Brooke, Paige, Chloe and Nia would all still be at the studio. Kendall moved…but still, we would’ve just lost one girl instead of five.”

“Six.” I corrected since she forgot to include herself. “You left me alone.” She bit her lip.

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay. You’re happier now…and that’s all I want.”

“I really am…but I miss the girls. You should invite Chloe over sometime so I can see her.”

“I’ll have to check with Mom…since she doesn’t really approve of me hanging around with her…but we can definitely try to work something out.”

It was nice spending quality time with Mackenzie again. I’d really missed my sister and wanted to make the most of the time we had to spend together before I went back to dance. She always kept me laughing and I didn’t have that whenever I was cooped up in the dance studio all day.

(Authors note: one more chapter left!! Y'all ready for the surprise ending?)