Chapter Fifteen

Maddie POV:

When I woke up in Chloe’s bed the following morning, the alarm clock on the nightstand read 10:24 AM. I rubbed my crusty eyes that were swollen from all the crying I’d done the night before. I rolled over to find a note from Chloe on her side of the bed and some clothes and a towel. I immediately teared up at again because she was such a sweetheart. Even after all the hell that Abby had put her through, that was one quality she’d never lost.

Maddie,

I hope you’re feeling better this morning. I didn’t want to wake you before I went to school. Here are some clothes and a towel if you want to shower. Feel free to stay here as long as you need to. My mom said she would be here all day.

Stay strong, girly. I love you.

Chlo

Desperately needing to freshen up, I took her up on the shower offer. I’d never gotten the sweat off of me after my half of a private before coming here. I knew Mom was probably pissed at me and soon I would have to bite the bullet and go home but I wanted to prolong it as long as I could.

After showering and getting dressed for the day, I came downstairs to find Christi watching TV in the living room.

“Hey sweetie, are you feeling any better?”

“A little bit.”

“Good. Are you hungry? Do you want me to make you some breakfast?”

“No thanks. I need to get home. I know my mom will have some things to discuss with me.” She got up to walk me to the door. “Thank you so much for taking me in last night. I really needed that.”

“No problem. We’re always here for you and you’re always welcome over here anytime.” I threw my arms around her.

“Thank you so much, Christi.”

“No problem at all. Hang in there. Everything will be okay.”

When I got home I expected Mom to scream at me for being an idiot the second I walked in the door. Instead, there was just silence. Mackenzie was at school and Greg was at work. Mom’s car was in the driveway so I knew she was home but she wasn’t anywhere to be found. Finally when I went upstairs to her bedroom door, I could hear the TV on. She must’ve not heard me come in.

“Mom…” I spoke as I knocked.

“Come in.” I slowly entered, waiting for her to pounce on me for being irresponsible, leaving dance early and going to Chloe’s house while I was grounded. Instead she was cool as cucumber. “Sit down.” I reluctantly took a seat next to her on her unmade bed. Though it was almost noon, she was still in her pajamas and sipping on a cup of coffee. There was a brief silence and then she said, “We need to have a little talk.”

“I’m sorry about yesterday…” I apologized, though I in no way regretted my actions, I knew this was what she wanted to hear.

“It doesn’t matter. It’s fine.” She stated, though her body language showed it was not fine. “I’m worried about you. Gianna called me and told me you had a meltdown at rehearsal…and that she was really concerned. You’ve never acted like this, Maddie and it’s scaring me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing. Tell me what’s going on.”

“Mom, I need a break. Dance is stressing me out. I need to take a break…even if it’s just a week or so. I’m losing my passion for it. I need a break from Abby and the drama and everything. I can’t take it anymore.”

“I understand that. I just don’t want you to throw it all away like your sister did. My heart shattered when Mackenzie quit dance. I don’t want that to happen to you.”

“I know. I don’t want to quit. I just need a break…and if you don’t want me to get burned out, then you’ll let me.” She took a deep breath and I could see tears forming in her brown eyes.

“Oh, Maddie…”

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” She grabbed a tissue off the nightstand and blew her nose.

“I just…I never expected this from you.”

“I know.”

“You know Abby is going to flip out.”

“I know. I’m prepared for it.”

“You should at least do the competition this weekend.”

“If I bow out now, Abby will be even more upset. I’ll talk with her on Monday.” She sighed loudly.

“Are you sure about this, Mads?” I nodded. “Okay.”

“Are you mad?” She shook her head.

“I’m sad…but all in all, I just want you to be happy. I can’t stop you from giving up dance if that’s what you want.”

“Just temporarily.” She leaned over and kissed my forehead.

“I love you, honey. I’m always going to love you no matter what.”

“I love you too, Mom.” Though I knew it was killing her, I’m glad she finally decided it would be okay for me to take a break from dance. I’d done it nonstop for as long as I could remember, so it would be nice to take a little break. Abby wouldn’t take it as gracefully, but I’d have to cross that bridge when I got there.