Chapter Four

Maddie POV:

When I met Chloe at the mall that Saturday, she greeted me with open arms. After texting back and forth throughout the week, she understood that I was having a hard time feeling conflicted about my dance career. I felt so stuck and she of all people understood that after the battle she faced trying to leave the ALDC.

“Leaving was the best thing that could’ve happened to me.” She told me as we sipped fruit smoothies at the food court. Her blonde hair was in spiral curls and her golden hoop earrings went well with her leopard print turtle neck sweater and bedazzled jeans. Though everyone had always claimed Chloe was jealous of my dancing, I’d always secretly been jealous of her looks. She was a bombshell. “You should consider coming to Studio 19. It really gave me my spark back.” I shrugged, fiddling with the trash from my straw.

“If I leave Abby’s, it will start World War III.” She giggled her girly laugh even though I was half serious.

“She’ll have to get over it. I always hoped and prayed she wouldn’t burn you out…but it seems like she did.”

“My whole life, it’s seemed like dance has been my only option. I never got the opportunity to even try anything else.” She smiled solemnly.

“Well, you’re a beautiful dancer and I’d hate to see you give that up…but if it doesn’t make you happy, then maybe it’s time to go out and find something else.” Even when we were little, Chloe had always given the best advice. She had a good head on her shoulders. Not only was she pretty, but she was also smart.

After the food court, Chloe bought us tickets to see a new movie called Dance Dirty With Me. It was rated R and since I was only sixteen, I couldn’t legally get in but I agreed to buy the snacks and because movie food was so expensive, the totals pretty much evened out.

The movie was good, but it wasn’t the best flick I’d ever seen. There were lots of sex scenes, which was slightly awkward for me but it wasn’t too bad. We decided to walk around the mall afterwards. I didn’t have a lot of money on me but it was fun window shopping and trying on random dresses in the department store. However, our leisurely day at the mall came to a halt when I spotted no one other than Abby inside a plus size clothing store as if she needed any more depressing black apparel.

“Run!” I shouted to Chloe, who was eyeballing a cute dress in the window of the store next door.

“What?” I grabbed her arm and started dragging her down the walkway, dodging people all the while.  “Maddie, what is going on?” Once we reached the elevator and caught our breath, I explained,

“I saw Abby inside that plus size store. If she sees me here with you I’ll be dead! We’ve got to get out of here!” Chloe’s face turned sheepish as she was still terrified of Abby.

“Do you want to come over for dinner? My mom’s making lasagna. We always have tons of leftovers so there should be enough for you.”

“Are you sure?” I hadn’t seen the Lukasiaks in forever and felt a little apprehensive about it. Rumor had it that Christi had always been envious of me but hopefully she’d moved on from that by now.

“Positive! There’s no way Abby will show up there.” We both laughed and I remembered back to when Christi had told her she wasn’t invited over since they didn’t allow trash in the door.

Since we each had our own car, I followed her back to her house. They’d moved since the last time I’d been over. Their new house was bigger and really nice. Chloe took me in through the garage which led to the kitchen.

“Hey Chlo.” Christi greeted as she stood in the kitchen making dinner, then she saw me come in behind her and did a double take. “Maddie?”

“Hi Christi.”

“Well, look what the cat dragged in!” She came over and hugged me. “It’s so nice to see you! It’s been forever! How are you, sweetie?”

“I’m good. How are you?”

“I’m great! You looked so beautiful at the competition last weekend.” Considering that I’d beaten Chloe, this came as a surprise to me. Apparently she wasn’t jealous anymore. “I’m so happy you and Chloe are talking again. She’s really missed all of her friends from ALDC.”

“We’ve missed her as well.”

Having dinner with the Lukasiak family was really nice. I caught them up on all our junior elite competition team had disintegrated throughout the years and everything else that had happened between then and now. I couldn’t believe that Clara was nine years old now. She’d grown up so fast. Christi told me that I was welcome to come over anytime and to tell my mom and Mackenzie hello.

I didn’t tell my mom that I’d made plans with Chloe because I knew it would probably end up with a lecture about how I could damage my whole relationship with Abby due to it. At this point, I didn’t care. I was happy Chloe was back in my life. Abby could suck it.