Chapter Five

Chloe POV:

“Maddie turned out to be such a lovely girl.” Mom told me that night after she left. “I mean, she was always lovely, but I always worried about Abby ruining her.”

“She isn’t brainwashed anymore. She’s burned out. She sort of wants to quit dance.” She turned to me wide eyed.

“She can’t…”

“That’s what I said.”

“I mean, I can’t believe Melissa let Mackenzie quit dance. I guarantee if Maddie tried to quit, she wouldn’t let it happen.” I shrugged.

“Things fell apart after we left…I’m glad we got out when we did.”

“Yep. I knew it would all come crashing down on that witch. Karma always takes care of business.” We both smiled and then she kissed my forehead.

“I’m going to hit the hay. Good night, Chlobird.”

“Good night.”

Maddie POV:

When I came home later than usual, Mom, my step-dad Greg and Mackenzie were all in the living room watching reality TV and eating pizza. Since I’d told them I was going to the mall for the afternoon and hadn’t touched base with them before going to Chloe’s, Mom felt the need to play twenty questions with me.

“Where were you?”

“I was at a friend’s.” She looked quizzically at me. Since I was homeschooled and she knew all of my dance friends, it couldn’t be some mystery friend from school she’d never met.

“What friend?”

“Just a friend, Mom. Chill out.” She was starting to get upset.

“What friend, Madison? Was it a boy?”

“No, Mom! It was not a boy! It was a new friend from dance. Abby wanted me to hang out with her to help her feel welcome and comfortable. It’s no big deal!” Eventually I would tell her that Chloe and I had reconnected but now was not the time. She stared me down, trying to catch me in a lie but I kept my poker face on.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“Okay. But if I find out that you’re sneaking around with some boy there will be consequences, young lady.” Mom was so uptight about some things. After Mackenzie had “screwed up” and quit dance, I was the golden child and she expected me to make no mistakes. The pressure to be perfect was intense and though I was a perfectionist, it was too much.

On Monday morning I drove Mackenzie to Franklin Regional High School where she was a freshman before I started my homeschooling for the day. Of course, she hadn’t bought my story about meeting up with a new friend from dance and had to question me about it. She’d always been sort of a blabber mouth growing up but had gotten better at keeping secrets with age. If Mom found out about Chloe, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Abby finding out would be a different story. Since my sister didn’t dance there anymore, I felt safe telling her.

“Okay, I didn’t really meet up with a new friend from dance. I met up with Chloe.”

“Chloe?” She gasped. “Lukasiak?” I nodded as I made a right turn in the direction of the school.

“Don’t tell Mom!”

“Why not?”

“Because she’ll think that I’m jeopardizing Abby liking me.”

“Well, you are. Abby forbid us from ever talking to Chloe again.”

“I don’t care anymore. She’s not the boss of me. I can talk to whoever I want.”

“You’re a rebel, Mads.”

“Whatever. Please just don’t tell Mom.”

“Fine…but I don’t see why not. Mom doesn’t even talk to Abby anymore.”

“Still. I could do without the lecture.”

“Alright. My lips are sealed.” I pulled up in the school parking lot and my sister climbed out of the car. She slung her purple backpack over her shoulder and said, “See you later, sis” and disappeared into the school building.