Chapter Seventeen

Maddie POV:

Monday when I showed up at the studio, I wore my regular street clothes and left my dance tote in the car. I was not here for class. I was here to speak with Abby about my break. She would not take it lightly, but I was prepared. She might never want to see or talk to me ever again, but that was fine. I could always find another dance studio. I had talent and I knew there were others out there who would love the chance to work with me.

She was sitting at the front desk when I came in. I knew she was likely still mad at me from the weekend. We hadn’t crossed paths since I stood up to her in front of Chloe. She was the queen of holding grudges so I knew there was no way she’d let that go by the wayside. When we made eye contact, my predictions were confirmed.

“Just the person I wanted to see…” She muttered and stood up.

“Miss Abby, we need to talk.”

“Yes, we do. Come with me.” I followed her into the abandoned voice studio where my sister used to take lessons all of the time. The voice lady had quit after a squabble and left in a rage, never returning. Abby had never gotten around to finding a replacement, which I felt slightly contributed to why Mackenzie left. Voice was one of her favorite things. “Your behavior on Saturday was despicable! I don’t know what makes you think you can speak to me that way but it’s inappropriate! I am your teacher and you will respect me!”

“Can I go first?” I asked quietly once she stopped scolding me.

“Is there something else? I just figured you wanted to apologize for being an idiot.”

“No. I stand by what I said. That’s not the point though. Miss Abby, I don’t know how to tell you this, but I want to take a break from dance.” Her jaw dropped from her upper lip. She was speechless. We stood in silence for a few minutes before I finally decided to explain myself. “I just need some time to myself. Some time to think. I’ll be back. I know I will be. I just need to relax for a while.” She wasn’t taking it well at all. She continued to shake her head at me, looking like she was going to puke.

“You’re making a huge mistake. You’re the cream of the crop. Do you really expect to get better by taking a break? You’re not going to make it to Broadway that way. You’re going to regress. Hell, you’re already regressing. Chloe beat you. She is crap. You should be ashamed of yourself.” She wasn’t yelling, but her tone was very serious and stern.

“We all need a break every once in a while. I’ve been dancing nonstop since I was two years old. I just need a few weeks to recoup. I’ll be a better dancer when I’m well rested…and Chloe isn’t crap. She’s my friend and she’s very talented. You can hate her all you want but please don’t talk about that in front of me because it upsets me. The more you hate on Chloe the more you’re pushing me away. I love her and you were a fool for letting her go.” She sighed and wouldn’t look me in the eye.

“Just rip my heart out, Maddie Ziegler. You’re throwing it all away.” These were the exact words she’d said to Mackenzie when she quit.

“I’ll be back.” I promised.

“You’re shitting all over me, kid. I hope it’s worth it.” She left me alone in the middle of the voice studio alone. I let out a deep breath and got back in my car to leave the studio. If I was doing the right thing, why did it feel so wrong?