Chapter Fourteen

Maddie POV:

I knew I couldn’t go home, so I made a spur of the moment decision to go to Chloe’s house. Since I didn’t have my phone, I couldn’t call and see if she was home but decided to go anyway. I didn’t know who else to turn to. If I showed up at my own house in shambles like this, my mom would freak out on me for leaving dance early.

When I knocked on the door, Christi opened it, surprised to see me. Last time I’d looked in the mirror, my hair was a mess and makeup was smeared all over my face. I knew the Lukasiaks wouldn’t care as they’d seen me in all sorts of emotional meltdowns throughout the years.

“Hi Christi, is Chloe here?” I croaked. She looked me over and a concerned look crossed her face.

“She’s at dance right now. Sweetheart, are you okay?”

“No.” I admitted.

“Come on in.” She put her arm around me and walked me into their living room. “Have a seat. I was just about to make Clara some hot chocolate. I’ll make you some too.” I sat on their comfy white leather couch, near tears again due to Christi’s compassion. A few minutes later she handed me a mug of hot chocolate and sat down beside me. “What’s going on?” I cracked and started crying again. She rubbed my back gently. “Don’t cry, don’t cry. It’s okay.”

“Everyone hates me.” I sobbed. “I don’t know what to do!”

“Everyone doesn’t hate you. Why would you think that?”

“My mom won’t look at me because I don’t want to dance anymore…and Abby hates me because I went with Chloe to Studio 19.” She stroked my tangled hair as if I were a pet cat.

“I’ve always thought from the beginning that they put way too much pressure on you. I knew this would happen someday. I’m sorry, sweetie.” I sniffed, trying control my emotions but it didn’t happen.

“I just need a break. But my mom won’t let me. Not after what happened to Mackenzie. There’s so much pressure on me to be perfect. I just can’t take it anymore.” Christi was so sweet to let me cry and vent to her until Chloe got home about half an hour later. She was so nurturing and sweet underneath her hard outer shell. I definitely came to the right place.

Chloe POV:

After dance, I walked in to find Maddie sitting on our living room couch sobbing. I exchanged glances with my mom, who motioned for me to come over. I sat on the right of Maddie and wrapped my arms around her. This made her cry even harder.

“What’s wrong?” I asked softly. She couldn’t speak. She just kept sniffling uncontrollably.

“She’s reached her breaking point.” Mom filled in. “Abby found out about her going to Studio 19, and her mom is upset with her.” I stroked her hair softly. Though I’d seen Maddie break down before, it had never been like this.

“I’m sorry, Mads. I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have taken to my studio. It’s all my fault.”

“It’s not your fault. Thank you for taking me. I had so much fun. It’s not your fault.” I gently rubbed her shoulder. Even though she claimed it wasn’t my fault, I still felt guilty. Maybe taking her to Studio 19 was a bad idea. She cried her heart out a little longer until she realized it was starting to get late.

“My mom’s going to be so mad! I’ve got to get home!” She panicked. I knew going home to that environment would probably not be the best thing for her at this time.

“How about you spend the night?” I proposed. I had school in the morning but I wanted Maddie to be in a place where she felt safe and comfortable. She was too emotionally vulnerable to go home right now.

“My mom will get mad.”

“I’ll call her.” My mom offered. “I want you to stay here. You can go home first thing in the morning.” Maddie sniffed and wiped her eyes with her hand.

“She’s going to get so mad.”

“I’ll talk to her. It’ll be fine.” After a lot of convincing, Mom finally got Melissa to agree to let Maddie stay the night. I knew the two of them would probably have lots to discuss when she went home, but for now she could calm down in our care. I took her up to my room, let her borrow some pajamas and let her watch some TV in my bed as I showered and finished up homework.

Before we went to sleep that night, I asked her if she wanted to talk or if she wanted me to stay up with her until she fell asleep but she claimed she was fine. After being exhausted from my own day, I drifted off pretty quickly. I didn’t know how long it took her to fall asleep, but she slept right through my six AM alarm. I laid out some clothes for her to borrow and a towel in case she wanted to shower when she woke up and jotted down a note then headed off to school. Hopefully she’d be okay.