Chapter Nine

Maddie POV:

“Maddie, get in here!” Abby called as it was time for my private lesson at the dance studio. Not in the best mood after a long day of homeschool and several classes and rehearsals, I reluctantly sulked into studio C. The junior elite company was rehearsing in A and someone else was having a private in B, which left me with crappy studio C. Not to mention, Gianna was sick today so Abby had to teach my private. I wasn’t in the mood for her annoyingness today.

As I entered the room with my plastic water bottle in hand, she was texting away on her new iphone10s. She always had to have the latest and greatest technology.

“We have lots of work to do.” She informed despite the fact I’d won with my lyrical solo at the past three competitions we’d gone to. “Rumor has it that the piece of trash is going to be competing against you again.” Though I was fully aware that she was referring to Chloe, I decided to play dumb.

“Trash?” She raised her eyebrows at me and mouthed Chloe’s name. I bit my tongue to refrain from lashing back at her and defending my friend.

“Four points is not enough. You need to make mincemeat out of her. I know you can do so much better. You always beat the hell out of her as a kid.” I tried to ignore her comment and dance as well as I could. She kept shouting corrections at me, claiming that if I danced like this at competition that Chloe would pummel me. Honestly, I didn’t really care. I kind of hoped she would beat me just to prove herself to Abby. I had more trophies than could fit in my room. I didn’t need another.

After the private was over, she called me over to sit down and talk which usually was not a good sign. She never wanted to talk about TV or the weather. If Abby wanted to speak to you, she typically meant business. I took a seat on the black and red stacked gymnastic mats adjacent to her.

“What is going on with you?” She asked seriously, looking me straight in the eyes.

“Nothing.” I shrugged. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? Because lately you’ve been dancing like you’ve never danced a day in your life. Seriously, Maddie. What is wrong?”

“Nothing.” She didn’t buy that at all. She put her hands on my shoulders and stared me down.

“Listen to me, kid. If you don’t go out there and beat the crap out of Chloe weekend after next, this will be the end of you. Do you understand?” Miss Abby had said a lot of things in my decade and a half at her studio but she’d never threatened me before.

“Yes ma’am.”

“Good. Get out of here.”

I was in a sour mood for the rest of the night. When I came trudging in the house after dance, Mom immediately tried to weasel what was wrong out of me.

“Madison!” She shouted up the stairs as I ignored her when she’d tried to talk to me. “Madison Nicole! Come speak to me!”

“Mom! I don’t want to talk about it!” When I turned around and kept walking but she followed me. When I slammed my bedroom door in her face, she didn’t hesitate to open it and follow me in.

“What is going on? What happened?” She asked calmly but I shoved my face in my pillows, sticking to my word of not wanting to discuss. “Did Abby say something?”

“Go away!” I yelled, bursting into tears after the crappy day I’d had.

“Maddie, what’s wrong?” She asked more gently. I hardly ever cried anymore. I was just tired of the same of nonsense year after year. I’d reached my breaking point.

“I just want to be alone.”

“Will you please tell me what happened?”

“Later…” She sighed in defeat.

“Fine. I’ll be downstairs if you need me.” She finally left the scene and I had a long, much needed cry into my pillow, leaking mascara all over the case. I could bleach it tomorrow. Right now I just needed to let everything out.