Chapter Sixteen

Chloe POV:

I found Maddie as I stood in the wings before my solo at the competition on Saturday. She was in much better shape than she was at our house a few nights before. Hopefully she’d gotten things straightened out with her mom and Abby. She looked gorgeous in her costume and her makeup was done perfectly, not an eyelash out of place. Before I went on she gave me a huge hug and whispered,

“I hope you win.” Since I didn’t want Maddie to slack off in order for me to take the crown, I went out there and tried to give my very best performance. I wanted to win because I was outstanding, not because Maddie threw in the towel. I’d beaten her before. I knew it was not impossible.

There were two numbers in between us and then she was up. She danced beautifully as well and didn’t seem to slack at all. It was anyone’s game. I sort of wanted her to win because after the rough week she’d had, she didn’t need any more crap from Abby. If I won, hell would completely break loose.

After the group numbers competed, it was time to hear the verdict at the award ceremony. The ALDC senior number came in second and we came in fourth. When they finally got to the solos, I held hands with my teammates, wishing I could really hold Maddie’s hand like we used to do. After third place was announced, neither one of us had been called.

“Second place…by one tenth of a point…” The MC announced. “Is…act number one-twenty-three, Maddie!” She got up and stood at the front of the stage, smiling delightfully as she accepted her plaque. Margaret squeezed my hand tighter, as we all hoped I’d won first. “And first place goes to number one-twenty-one, Chloe!” I beamed as I stood beside Maddie as they handed me my trophy that was half the size I was. We all took a bow and then she gave me a huge hug in the middle of the stage. It was a bold move knowing Abby was sitting in the audience.

“Congrats!” She whispered and then we parted ways.

Once the ceremony was over, we caught up with each other in the hallway.

“You were flawless!” She told me. “I’m so happy you won!”

“Thanks. One tenth of a point! You were flawless as well!”

“Not as flawless as you.” All of the sudden, one of my worst nightmares started to come true. Abby Lee Miller appeared in the crowded hallway. I hadn’t seen her up since we’d left. She’d lost a bit of weight but still her looks still frightened me.

“Maddie!” She shouted. My first instinct was to run but instead I froze in my tracks. Maddie could tell I was flustered and grabbed hold of my hand. Saying Abby was furious was an understatement.

“Yes, Miss Abby?” Maddie asked casually as if she were just here to chat.

“What are you doing? One tenth of a point?! To her?! What the hell?”

“What can I say? Chloe was beautiful out there.” I grinned and looked down at my feet, nervous to make eye contact with my former teacher.

“Whatever!” She scowled. “Get away from her!” I expected Maddie to obey her orders but she didn’t.

“No. Chloe is my friend. She’s always been my friend and you tried to take her away from me. I may have bought into your deceitfulness when I was twelve but not anymore! You can’t tell me who my friends are!” I admired her bravery because I’d never had the courage to stand up to her like that. She was caught off guard and I’d never seen her so speechless. She stood there shaking her head for a minute and then turned around and stormed off. I let out a deep sigh of relief and Maddie hugged me again. I didn’t know what to say.

“I love you so much.” She told me.

“I love you too.” Maddie had chosen me over Abby. Years ago that never would have happened but now she’d realized the abuse of power going on and stood up to it. Dance teachers come and go but friends stay forever.