Chapter 3

Mayas POV

Seriously? Is that where she met Connor? The Connor that now was her fiance? Wow. I could see why she didn't tell me where she met him. Rose and Connor had been together already before Rose and I met 3 years ago. At the beginning of our friendship they were together as a couple. but two years later he proposed to Rose and she said yes. 

Now they were both planning for their big wedding. I guess Rose just wanted me to also find my soulmate.

"Fine, let's do it. I'm up for it but I really hope for your sake, that he is a great guy. What did you say his name was? James?. Right, I'll see you tomorrow, bye!" I hung up the phone and sighed loudly. 

I packed my bag and put my painting brushes in a jar of water so the acrylic paint wouldn't end up drying on the brushes. I turned all the lights off in the studio and went down to the ground floor through the old elevator that was in the building. 

As I left the building I quickly hurried over to the near supermarket to buy some groceries. I didn't have time for it tomorrow as I would have to meet with Rose at the Woodbury Common Outlet Center in the morning. 

When I got back to our apartment it was all silent. I knew Rose wouldn't be home tonight. She was staying over at Connors. 
Connor was a really great guy. He had humor, he was intelligent and he worked hard. And I knew that he made Rose happy. I met him a couple of times when he came to pick her up for dates or other things. We got along very well as friends. 

If Rose could find such a handsome man as Connor and also a man who really knew to behave in front of women... Then I would maybe also have the chance to meet such a guy! Yeah, I deserved it. I had some long lonely years while staying here in New York - I would love to get a boyfriend soon. And my parents would love me for it too, I thought. 

My Parents already gave up on the hopes of me finding a Sri Lankan man. We had this conversation about two years ago when they started to talk about marriage. In the Tamil culture it still was a thing where the parents would find a suitable husband. I, somehow didn't believe in it. 

Somehow, deep down I just knew that my destiny would be to find my true love. I would marry a man who loved me for who I was and not because I passed all the standard criteria of status and who my family was. 

I also quickly found out in my college time, that I clearly was more interested in white men rather than my own skin color. Not that it mattered, really, but I just found white American men more attractive. 

* * * * * 

The day before the blind date

"Maya, try this one instead!" Rose threw a blue dress right in my face. I grabbed it and scanned it through from the top till the bottom. It was indeed a nice dress, though it didn't feel like a dress I would want for my first date. I mean, even if it was a blind date where he couldn't even be able to see me I still felt the dress was a bit too much. 

"Then how about this one?" she picked a leather skirt which was knee-long and a grey turtleneck to pair it with. I looked at it and nodded with a smile. 

We were in Roses bedroom with jazz music in the background and drinking wine together while we tried to find the perfect outfit for my big date tomorrow. 

"Yeah, I think this could work very well actually. I just think I need a pair of camel-colored boots or something along that line, don't you think?" I asked her while sipping to my white whine. 

"I guess! Uh, I know! You could pair it with these". I looked at the shoes she held up and I gave her the biggest smile. 

"Are you kidding me, Rose?!" I screamed and quickly tried the shoes on. Rose got them as a gift from Connor last year, and I had been dying to get such shoes myself. 

"You can borrow them if you want" she winked at me and looked at me with excitement. I let my shoulders down and looked at her. "You must really want me to find a boyfriend since you are willing to lend me your favorite shoes!". 

We both laughed and drank a little bit more. Then Rose began to keep staring at me and I wondered why. 

"The man who gets you as a girlfriend will be the luckiest guy ever! She said while closing her eyes in satisfaction. I gave her a questionable look. 

"Oh, come on Maya. Look at you! You have the most beautiful skin I've ever seen. A lovely chocolate, nougat color skin and you are so exotic to look at with your big black wavy hair. God, I envy you for that hair of yours!"

I beamed and hugged her as a thank you. Rose was always good with words and she always made me feel good. I caught myself in the mirror while holding up the set of clothes and smiled back at me. I felt good. And I felt beautiful. 

"I'm actually both nervous and thrilled about tomorrow. I can't believe that I don't actually get to see my date until the end!". 

Rose came and hugged me from the side while still holding her wineglass in the other. 

"Maya, I wish you the best date ever and I know for sure that no matter who that guy is - he will not let go of such a good catch!". 

As the evening went by I went back into my own room and started to get unready for bed. I went to the bathroom and washed my face, then put all the good stuff on my face before going to bed. 

I was ready to finally meet someone nice and I was ready to finally be able to give my love to someone. As I kept thinking about the upcoming date my eyes slowly closed and I drifted off to sleep.