02. patton

"Patton!" Roman cried, bursting into my dorm. "Wake up, you fool!" I jolted awake, and so did my purple haired roommate from across the room.

"GAH," I screamed, sitting up. "Jeez, Ro, you scared me there!"

"Why are you lying on the ground?" Roman asked.

"I came in late, and my roommate and I ended up chatting almost all night," I said through a yawn.

"How did you even get in here?" my roommate asked nervously. Roman seemed to notice him for the first time.

"Oh, I have a spare key," Roman shrugged. I had given it to him in case I was ever having a panic attack and felt like I might relapse. I had been clean for nearly a year, and I wanted to keep it that way. "And who might this be?" Roman asked me.

"Oh, uh..." I realized that neither of us had introduced ourselves the previous night.

"I'm Virgil," the purple haired boy said quietly.

"And I'm Patton," I said.

"Pat, we've been friends since elementary school, I think I know your name by now," Roman said. I rolled my eyes playfully at him.

"I was telling Virgil, actually, Roman."

"You didn't introduce yourselves?" Roman asked.

"I... guess not?"

"But I thought you talked last night?"

"Yeah, we just never brought up our names. I guess it wasn't really a super interesting late night conversation topic," I said.

Roman just stared at Virgil and I. "You two are some of the weirdest people I've ever met."

Virgil coughed, breaking the brief uncomfortable silence.

"Anyway, why did you come by?" I asked him.

"Oh, right!" You're not going to believe this," Roman said excitedly, eyes shining brightly. "I managed to get a gig!"

"You did?!" I said happily. Roman had started a band recently and had been ultimately unsuccessful thus far in finding a place to perform. Hearing that they'd finally found somewhere to play was fantastic.

"Yes! I got us a spot at a small festival being held nearby."

"That's fantastic!" I exclaimed.

"I just wish we had another singer..." Roman pouted.

I thought for a moment. "Wait a minute," I said quickly, turning to Virgil. "Didn't you say last night that you used to do chorus in high school?"

Virgil went red. "M-me!?" Virgil squeaked, looking like a deer caught in headlights. "I mean... I did, but..."

"You should sing for Roman and I, and maybe you could be in the band," I suggested, smiling brightly. Roman perked up a bit.

"That sounds like a magnificent idea, Patton!" he said triumphantly. Virgil hunched his shoulders like he was trying to fold in on himself.

"I-I dunno... I was never very good. I only joined because my voice would just blend in with the rest."

"I'm sure that's not true," I said soothingly, scooting a little closer to him.

"Yeah, I mean, we won't know unless you sing," Roman said, suddenly very interested in everything about Virgil.

"I just... I mean... I could, but... I dunno..." Virgil said even quieter than before. His voice was barely above a whisper.